And just like that, it’s backyard rink season. All across North America rink boards are getting staked in, lighting is being installed, and eager eyes are checking the long-term forecast, hoping for an extended stretch of cold weather. Every night is colder than the one before it, and we’ll all be taking the first strides of 2010-2011 in short order. I spent a few hours with my dad and our friends Jeff and Doc this past Saturday erecting three sides of our new 40′ x 56′ rink. Our next job is to figure out a way to work in the old Chelmsford Forum boards, which we’ll do this weekend.
We have some more new content coming later this week, but let’s start the week with some quick hitters:
- The New Hampshire Legends of Hockey will be hosting their 9th Annual Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Luncheon on Sunday, December 5th at the Radisson Hotel in Manchester beginning at 11:30 am. The day before, the LA Kings’ AHL affiliate Manchester Monarchs will honor the inductees by wearing the original Manchester Monarchs jerseys from the early 1970’s. Want more information? Take a look at their website, check out this year’s inductees,Â and be sure to like their fan page on Facebook. Minnesota is well-known as the hockey capital of the US, but New Hampshire has a very passionate hockey family as well. It’s folks like the Legends who make sure that doesn’t change.
- In addition to the products in our Backyard Hockey Buyer’s Guide, check out this killer deal as you embrace ridiculously-named Cyber Monday: a buy-one-get-one deal on the Pond Hockey and Forgotten Miracle DVDs. The great folks at Northland Films are running this promo only until 11:59pm on Monday, November 29th (that would be today). You’ll get both films for an unheard-of $19.95. Click here to order, but remember, this deal is gone on Tuesday morning.
- Haven’t checked out the Hockey in the USA documentary since it was released last Wednesday? Over 1,000 of your fellow hockey fans have. Take a look and add your feedback in the comments section. Better yet, take the questions asked in the film to your own hockey network, solicit some answers, and do what you can to grow the game in your area. If you love hockey, or if the game has helped you become who you are, do what you can to share it with others.
- The calendar will click over to December this week, which means we’re only six weeks away from our first pond hockey tournaments of the season. Have you decided which ones you’re going to attend? Be sure to take a look at our comprehensive North American Pond Hockey Tournament Listing to find one near you.
- Don’t forget to check out our Backyard-Hockey.com logo gear in our store. One of our hottest sellers has been our Backyard-Hockey.com bumper sticker, pictured below. It’s only $5, and a dollar from each sticker sale goes directly to the Easter Seals Autism Network. If you buy one and send me a picture with it stuck on your car, rink, or face, I’ll double it to two dollars. Check out the store here.
- Finally, we leave you with a hockey commercial from 2008:
In addition to being original and humorous, it’s also quite relevant in my household. I’m excited to announce that my wife and I are expecting twins in the spring. We found out last Wednesday that we’ll be having a boy and a girl. We’re thrilled. Most importantly, so is their big brother.
More content coming soon: some water volume calculators and an ice thickness ruler for you backyard rinkbuilders, a look at Restore Hockey, and more!
Patiently waiting for Baby A and Baby B!