[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Question about Well-water use -

Question about Well-water use

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
krusher
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20 x 30
Materials: 2x8 spruce for frame. On bricks as needed to level.
6 mil taped vapor-barrier for liner.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question about Well-water use

Postby krusher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I have a 20'*30' rink. Deepest end will be 12", shallowest will be 4". I figure on between 400 and 500 cu-feet of water. Should I be concerned about my well (I'm a former city-boy). I was told that my well was 120' deep and that I had 80' of water for what that's worth.

Ever hear of anyone draining a well dry because of a rink?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Question about Well-water use

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Using our calculator here (http://www.backyard-hockey.com/2012/08/ ... lculators/) and entering in an average of 8" thick, it comes in at just under 3,000 gallons. Since everyone's well is different, nobody on here will be able to tell you if it'll work. I have customers who fill their 20x40's with well water and have no issues. Personally, I've owned two homes in the last six years and have had to replace the well pumps in both (not because of filling a rink, they were just due to be replaced). And that is NOT a fun $2500 to spend. So I've always had my water trucked in. $300 is a lot more palatable.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

krusher
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20 x 30
Materials: 2x8 spruce for frame. On bricks as needed to level.
6 mil taped vapor-barrier for liner.

Postby krusher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 am

Well so far so good. I have it filled most of the way. I've stopped about 1" shy of my target on account of my tiredness and the fact that I want it to start to freeze solid without water currents.

Well seems to have held up.

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 am

Good deal! Definitely try to top it off asap though...filling in multiple sessions can cause problems.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 am

As Joe said, every well is different. It all depends on the aquifer you are tapped into and how many other people are on the same one. The person who drilled the well would be able to tell you more details.

I've filled my 33'x75' with my well for years now - with a little help from a friend called Mother Nature - and so far so good.

Sounds like you are well on your way. Hope you get a cold snap to freeze it solid.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'

Postby kdukatz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm also on a well. 32 x 56 rink with average 8 inch depth. Last year took me 12 hours constantly running the well to get 'er filled (there was a significant amount of snow in the liner when I started, so I had some help). No issues. I use the same well to fill an above ground pool every summer, that's about 5000 gallons. In full disclosure, this is not the same well that our house is on. We have two wells, one for the house and one for the barn. The rink and pool are out by the barn. But both wells are about 100 feet deep.
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 am

it would be awfully difficult to drain the water source your well pulls from. even with the widespread drought we had this year. sometimes if your well is not very deep you can run the water a little low, but if your well goes 100' plus you should be okay.

Jesse10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Jesse10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 am

As long as you know how good your water source is you should be ok. We have a forty foot deep well that is three feet in diameter, and it will run dry if a hose is left on for more than a few minutes. If you can find out who drilled the well and contact them they can probably help you.
jesse
"until the next time, keep your stick on the ice" -Red Green

zondu
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby zondu » Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 am

For smaller rinks, we sometimes fill up with well water, and as long as you have a good aquifer it can be fine. However, for a larger rink, we utilized the potential of roof run-off to fill the rink for free instead of using well water, or worse yet, buying water! We had a rink that was 50' x 65' (3,250 ft2) and an average of 6" deep (approximate volume of 12,155 gallons), and we filled it quickly for free by simply using our roof run-off.

We did this by connecting some of our roof's downspouts to pvc pipes (using elbows at the bottom to connect to horizontal pvc pipes lying on or partly buried in the ground) which connect into each other at the corner of the house. We then built what we called the "Alaskan pipeline" of several pvcs pipes (using bricks and scrap wood to support them) across the yard to the closest edge of the ice rink. We used a level to make it to slope just slightly downhill across the entire length (to prevent freezing blocakges) because the level of the lowest downspout and the level of the rink were about a 1 inch difference.

Our house is a modestly sized rancher, and when we did the math, we realized that we could get thousands of gallons off the roof in a very short amount of time. With just one day of steady, moderate rain, the rink was completely filled and ready for freezing. We disconnected and reconnected the last section of pipe on the pipeline to control topping up or resurfacing if we needed to adjust things.

We used old pvc pipes that we had lying around (many were cracked or had holes, so we put the cracks and holes to the top so that the bottom few inches were solid to allow water to flow without leaking). If one doesn't have pvc pices, it's a good investment to buy them and avoid paying a few hundred dollars each year to fill up an ice rink. They quickly pay for themselves.

In the summer, we use the downspouts to collect and store roof run-off in large barrels to water the garden.
Attachments
icerink_pipeline_01b.jpg
PVC pipeline attached via an elbow (loose) to the main downspout from the roof.
icerink_pipeline_01b.jpg (180.43 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
icerink01.jpg
PVC pipeline running across the yard to the nearest edge of the rink.
icerink01.jpg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 15834 times

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”