[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
My first rink -

My first rink

Pictures, Videos...let's see your slab!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
legojerry
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My first rink

Postby legojerry » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 am

I decided I wanted to build a rink, and I did okay. This website was instrumental and I would've really screwed up if it wasn't for some of the articles. It's a small rink for now, only 20x40 -- but I think it's a good start. It was more of a trial run to see if I could do this and make it work. I will probably level my yard and do a 40x40 rink next year.
Attachments
myrink.jpg
myrink.jpg (135.14 KiB) Viewed 17148 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: My first rink

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:24 pm

You hit the front page of my Reddit with this!
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

legojerry
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby legojerry » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Wow, I just saw that. Your posts have been very helpful! I've probably read every post in this forum trying to plan for unexpected things.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:43 pm

I've been doing this for almost 15 years - this might be the 15th year, not sure - and I'm still learning new things each years and something unexpected always seems to arise.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Kevmac is the cog that keeps this train running. Thank you Kev!

Rink looks great. Only advice I'd have in future years is to not cut the liner so close to the ice level - let it drape up over the tops of the boards (keep it there with spring clamps, pipe insulation, or rink-specific bumper caps). Never use staples. If it gets warm in Jan or Feb and your supports budge a bit (ie, move outward), that could suck your liner down below the ice/water line and cause problems. I say this because I've done it...and now I keep at least a few inches of liner draped over the outside of the boards (and make sure I brace enough that nothing moves).
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

FCHAdad
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20x40
Materials: 23/32" PT plywood @16" high; 2x2x24" stakes; 25'x45' NiceRink replacement liner

Postby FCHAdad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Nice job with the 20x40. Are those 1x6 pine boards running down at the base of the OSB? That seems like a great way to get more stiffness without springing for thicker/better boards. Looks like it's working!

legojerry
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby legojerry » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Joe-

I completely agree. This was actually the width of my liner and it's as far as it would go. I didn't get a liner that was big enough and that's been a serious regret. Next year I'll make sure I have at least 2 ft extra on each edge. Live and learn I guess. (thanks for providing this website, it has been great)

FCHA-

They're actually 1x4 pine, I cut them into a V notch with my 10in miter saw while my son was sleeping one afternoon, I had been thinking about doing it and it actually worked out pretty well. I wasn't sure if I could get them to go into the ground but it wasn't too bad.

Return to “Show Off Your Rink”