[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
rinks almost ready -

rinks almost ready

Pictures, Videos...let's see your slab!
corbyville
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 40x80
Materials: 2x4 x 3/4 ply boards.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

rinks almost ready

Postby corbyville » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Just a bit more raking out dirt inside and were ready for the cold weather!!!
missing a bunch of logo's but will add some more soon.
Attachments
IMAG0207.jpg
IMAG0207.jpg (155.73 KiB) Viewed 13233 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: rinks almost ready

Postby kevmac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:40 pm

That right there is a thing of beauty. Well done.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Agreed. That's unreal.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:18 am

The only thing that I would do different is lessen the amount of braces. I move all the boards myself and if there's one thing I learned as I get older each year, those suckers get heavier every year.

You'd also be surprised as to how well the plywood holds without all the down braces. My end boards are 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood with the outside frame and one support post in the middle. I've never had issue with pucks and bodychecks (the fellas get a little rambunctious at times).

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby wilsondmw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 am

This will be my first time with Dasher Boards on the ends...

Is there a consensus on how to do the Liner? I assume inside the boards, but am curious what others do with their Dashers...

thanks,
Mike

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am

I think whoever you ask might have a different opinion for liners and dasher boards.

People who replace their liners every year will not use the puck boards because they don't care what happens to the liner after the ice is made.

If you hope to reuse your liner from year to year, you can place the liner under & outside the boards, but the water will seep under the boards and soaking the boards which will induce rot much quicker if the boards stay somewhat dryer. You also need to make sure the liner is securely attached to the outside of the boards, otherwise you risk the water ripping it away from the boards.

If you keep the liner inside and want to try and reuse it every year, go through the process of filling the liner to your desired level and let the water freeze until it is skateable. At this point, you can start placing your dasher boards around the rink. Now if you simply screw your dasher boards to the rink boards through the tarp, you are defeating the purpose of the dasher boards protecting the tarp (granted screw holes are easier to patch than skate cuts and shovel gouges.)

Here is what I have done and I find it works quite nicely:
I have used 1/8" hardboard and I have used 1/4" OSB (whichever has been donated by my carpenter buddy) both cut into 1" width. I then tuck the wood between the ice and the liner/rink boards making sure to not rip the liner. At this point, I make sure the liner does not extend past the height of the dasher board (either fold it or cut it) and simply screw the dasher to the rink board. The ice keeps the bottom of the board in place and any further resurfacing will only make the bottom hold stronger.

-kevmac

corbyville
Seasoned Veteran

Postby corbyville » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am

I use kev-mac's method.
Wait till ice freezes then install dasher boards.
I dont plan on saving the liner so my dasher boards are for looks and a way of holding up liner to allow for floods.
Anyone still need more info on how i made the corner boards? I never got around to posting. Sorry.
I have been building a Heated change room/ skate up bar attached to side of rink.
Will post pics soon.

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I just need to know how to cut the plywood tops and bottoms for the corners. No clue how to get the angles right, particularly since plywood comes in 4x8 sheets. If you can give me a template or some measurements, I can roll with it. I'm good with the 2x4 supports and rink-facing plywood...it's just the curved tops and bottoms that have me puzzled.

corbyville
Seasoned Veteran

Postby corbyville » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Joe,
I actually have 26 extra cut pieces.
I can post the drawing but it would be a nightmare to try and trace out.
I had a wood shop CNC cut mine for me.
Attachments
corner ply .5 2.jpg
corner ply .5 2.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 13125 times

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:53 pm

26 extra pieces? Let me google to see how long it would take me to drive to Corbyville :)

Can you email that to me at joe@backyard-hockey.com? I can't see the numbers that great. Thank you!

Return to “Show Off Your Rink”