[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
What to do about a frozen spigot? -

What to do about a frozen spigot?

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephanie
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What to do about a frozen spigot?

Postby Stephanie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 pm

OK, rink-construction newbies here. Started filling last night. However, our rink's not exactly level -- due to not knowing Joe's excellent leveling method at the time and the actual rink location not exactly matching up with the planned location, we've got a deep corner. So I stopped filling when the deep corner got to about 4 inches, even though there wasn't anything much in the shallow corner yet. (We're framed with 2 x 12s, so I don't think there's any danger of not getting enough in the shallow corner before the deep corner's overtopped, thank heavens.)

Anyhow, we turned off the water to the spigot indoors, then ran the outdoor spigot dry before turning it off. When I went to add another layer of water today, I attached the hose, opened the indoor valve, then went to open the outdoor valve, and it was frozen shut. I heated up a kettle of water and poured it over the spigot, which unfroze the valve, so I could turn it on -- but apparently, while the water in the kettle was heating, the water in the pipe was freezing, because when I finally got the handle to turn, nothing came out.

Any suggestions as to what I can do other than wait for a thaw? The prospect of running a hose up from the basement washtub to a wheeled garbage can by the back door and filling the rink 30 gallons at a time (or less -- I'm thinking that might be too heavy to move, wheels or no) does not sound pleasant.

And how do we keep this from happening again?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: What to do about a frozen spigot?

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 pm

This used to happen in my old house, and it would take 2-3 pitchers of hot water to un-freeze it. The big box stores sell a $30-or-so spigot that has a shutoff that's inside the house, though (a) that won't help you this year and (b) that $30 becomes $330 unless you're a plumber. But it's worth in times like this. I opted for a Moen hot/cold spigot, which goes for about $90 or so.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 am

Or do I what I do... NEVER close the outdoor spigot. I have one of those 12" connections and it's supposed to drain out and never freeze... well guess what folks? It freezes solid. Arnold Schwarzenegger couldn't open this *curse word* when it's -15'C or below. What do I do? I have a shut off valve about 1" inside the connection for the 'freeze proof (yeah right) outdoor spigot' which I shut off. It only means that it's one extra trip outside when flooding.

Here's my breakdown of a flood:
1 - Haul hose outside
2 - Unravel the 100' of hose from the hose buddy
3 - Attach quick connection to 'open' outside spigot and summarily the hose to the quick connect
4 - Go back downstairs and open the shut off valve, thus filling the hose with water but not losing water
5 - Grab rink rake, go out to rink where the hose is now hanging over the boards and quick connect to far end of hose
6 - Flood to your hearts content
7 - Complete flood, go inside, shut off shut off valve
8 - Grab hose buddy, remove hose from quick connect
9 - remove quick connect from spigot (you do not want this to freeze on) and roll hose onto buddy
10 - relax by fireplace with cold BEvERage while patting self on back for job well done

In other words, NEVER close the outside spigot...

BTW, I love the word spigot. I chuckled for some unknown reason every time I typed it. :-D Maybe I'm just simple...

**UPDATE: When I was referring to quick connect, here is the product that I use: http://www.gardena.com/ca/en/water-mana ... onnectors/
If you use the Threaded Tap Connector, remove it after unhooking your hose. Otherwise, the water will not drain properly out of your spigot and you will need two pitchers of boiling water to get water flowing again. Or a torch...
Last edited by kevmac on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Stephanie
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Stephanie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the assists!

Kevmac, wouldn't you know, the first thing my DH said to me was, "You closed the outside tap?" Apparently, I won't be doing that again. And, yeah, "spigot" does sound funny -- like it should be a curse word or something. :)

Coachkstow
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 18x45
Materials: boards: 2'x4' plywood screwed into 3 foot 2x4 stakes
Liner: 30x50 nicerink liner

Postby Coachkstow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 am

Pitcher of hot water poured directly on to the spigot works for me...

Good luck.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 am

if the freeze has worked its way inside (which can lead to nasty pipe bursts) the best way to undo said freeze is to take a washcloth or towel and put wicked hot water on it from the sink then wrap it around the frozen pipe and after a couple reps of that (frozen pipe cools the towel quickly so you need to reapply hot water) it should thaw nicely.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”