[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Repairing leak under the ice, now frozen on top -

Repairing leak under the ice, now frozen on top

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
matlaab
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 50x24
Materials: 2x12s with rebar supports, joined using strong ties.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Repairing leak under the ice, now frozen on top

Postby matlaab » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I was having a great game of 2x2 the other day (ignoring the creaking of the ice) and I fell through the ice near the boards. I must have cut the liner with my skates. It did not look like it was cut (although it was hard to tell), but there is visible evidence of leaking now - large pool of ice outside the boards near where the break was. Also I've noticed the overall water level is down (I marked with a sharpie).

But, it is all frozen on top, and my yard is uneven, so normally there would be water under where the break was. The yard slopes so the shallow end looks like it is frozen to the ground (esp with the water leaking out), and the deep end is where the cut is.

I'm thinking I'll have to break the ice again, without doing further damage to the liner then try and apply some of the liner fixing tape if I can find the leak? Its going to be a little difficult to do. Any suggestions - hit with an axe? hot water?

If I do fix it and add more water - should I just spray on top? make a hole and put the water underneath?

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Re: Repairing leak under the ice, now frozen on top

Postby wilsondmw » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

If you could post pictures that would be helpful---just to see what you are dealing with. I think water (from a hose, cold will work just as well as warm) should melt a hole through the ice near where the tear is and then you should hopefully be able to seal it with tape---do you have the good tape? It is amazing what that stuff can do...

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”