[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Smart or Stupid?? -

Smart or Stupid??

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Smart or Stupid??

Postby HaleSkater » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 pm

We've hit a warm patch here in MN. Last weekend softened up the ice for about a foot adjacent to my boards that have a southern exposure. It was pretty bad...tons of sharp crags and deep pockets, unskateable in that strip and not something that could be fixed with the rink rake. Rest melted on top and then healed up wonderfully.

I packed a bunch slush into the worst parts and did some bucket dumps in the corners where the damage was particularly acute. These areas are still unskateable but at least they are solid and will be fixable when the cold returns.

Now we are set to have several days with highs in the upper 30s. Gross.

To mitigate further damage, I have shoveled the recent snowfall such that it is in a strip over this damaged area. I was planning to leave it there until the few days of warm temps pass on the logic that any melting will help to further shore up the damaged areas.

Smart or stupid??? Photo attached.
Attachments
1421895350719926325339.jpg
1421895350719926325339.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 14244 times

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Smart or Stupid??

Postby HaleSkater » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:04 am

Should have added that I was also thinking that the little snowbank along the southern facing boards would dampen the effect of the Sun.

I've done this late in the season previously,but never for multiple days in a row...

MLeslie347
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 80
Materials: Nicerink bracket and 18" board system

Postby MLeslie347 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 am

Bob,

My guess is that it certainly won't hurt. I wouldn't do it early in the season if the slab wasn't frozen through to the ground, but this time of year think the insulation from the show will definitely help the sunny side of your rink "survive" a bit better. I know I've intentionally left my rink unshoveled for several days preceding a mid-season thaw and that seems to have definitely helped me in the past.

What a year, eh? Such a beautiful cold November and now seems like it has been either -5 or 40 on any given day since. My kingdom for a nice solid two weeks of mid-upper teens!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:56 am

Guess we will find out in a couple of days when it gets cold again.

The snow is going to act as an insulator for the ice so it should in theory keep that ice a bit colder than the exposed ice. It's not a bad idea. I've seen others who paint their ice cover up the painted sections with snow when it's warm out to protect the paint.

My only suggestion is to clear that snow as soon as it starts getting cold again. What are your night temperatures like?
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran

Postby HaleSkater » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Magnus - Indeed...record early start to the season and lots of great skating before Thanksgiving and then absolute wicked cold or practically 40F.

KevMac - Night temps are 31 for Tomorrow and Saturday, then upper 20s until late next week when it looks like we might be back to regular Minnesota temps with highs in 20s and lows in single digits F.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”