[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Crack -

Crack

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AlphadadJ
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 18x32
Materials: 4x8 OSB Plywood boards (cut in 1/4's) wooden stakes 3' long 4x4 & 2x2 Heavy Duty White 6mil liner

Crack

Postby AlphadadJ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Ok soooo here's my problem that I'm now obsessing about. Skated today as the rink is frozen solid temps have been close to 0 for a few days. Skated today with my boy and then again tonight. I figured I'd clean it up for him tonight and resurface it.

When I started resurfacing with warm water things looked to be going Well but now after it was done, I now have a crack smack dab in the middle of the rink running form side to side (width wide) It seems to not have raised or heaved and I have no gaps or holes. It only looks like it's maybe a stress crack from the warm water? I know the ice can become brittle when the temps are really cold but it was fine all day, this defiantly happened when I resurfaced. So my questions are:

1. Should I be concerned?
2. Is it going to affect anything?
3. Did I do something wrong when I resurfaced?

As always thanks, yet again another lesson learned.

AD

Skate-Hard
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 70
Materials: Home made wood construction, clear mono netting with aluminum support posts and aluminum light posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Crack

Postby Skate-Hard » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:37 am

This happens to me all of the time. The last couple of weeks in MN it has been below zero when I resurface and it cracks constantly. I do thin layers of water and most of the time the cracks fill in and it's not a problem. Sometimes I get big ones and have to take a bucket of slush and a puck and fill in the crack and smooth it over. I let it freeze solid then resurface and the ice is smooth again. On average I have to do the slush / puck duty six times a year to the big cracks. Good Luck.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:50 am

It's just part of the process. The ice will crack especially at really low temperatures. I just let the cracks fill back in on the next resurface, if it doesn't fill right away I may let the homeboni sit for an extra second or two to fill it up.

The worst is when you find the crack while skating with the blade that seems to fit perfectly into the gap. Or if you hit it just right and send a chunk flying, then I'll resort to the slush/puck method as Skate-Hard suggested.

To answer your questions:
1 - No
2 - No
3 - No

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

AlphadadJ
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 18x32
Materials: 4x8 OSB Plywood boards (cut in 1/4's) wooden stakes 3' long 4x4 & 2x2 Heavy Duty White 6mil liner

Postby AlphadadJ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 am

As usual, thanks for the reply! Skate On!

FCHAdad
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20x40
Materials: 23/32" PT plywood @16" high; 2x2x24" stakes; 25'x45' NiceRink replacement liner

Postby FCHAdad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:23 pm

I've got all sorts of cracking going on - big longitudinal crack from when I pushed all the slushy snow to the edges before it was froze solid; cross-ways crack in shallow end from extreme cold right before deep end froze up; and lots of little "half way down" cracks that seem to pop up when I resurface with hot water in single digits. All superficial though, none to catch a skate on or anything.

Jagger
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 25x50
Materials: 2x6's with a 5 mil liner from NJ Supply Co.

Postby Jagger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:20 am

There's nothing like the sound of a big crack, in the dead of night.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 am

Every time I flood and I hear one of those thunderous cracks, my hearts jumps and it takes me back to my childhood skating on the pond or the river. If you heard the same thing back then, you were scrambling for land.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”