[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Fixing surface issues -

Fixing surface issues

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
17seconds
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 28x48
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fixing surface issues

Postby 17seconds » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 pm

I have a common issue and think I know the solution but want to verify

Had pristine ice last week. Then a solid day of slush and rain. Couldn't get all of it off. Got cold and froze Lots or ridges and unevene unskateable surface

Now it is bitterly cold in Chicago (sub zero windchill)

So to fix, here's my plan when I'm back home on Friday:

- chop as many ridges off as possible using floor scraper. Remove

- run the hose and reflood for a couple of hours. Goal is to
Cover all ridges with a nice fresh layer of say 1/2" of water.

- let freeze overnight (will be in single digits)

- if needed, homeboni the next morning with hot water

That sound right? If there's a better approach, lemme know!!

goblue35
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32x48
Materials: 7/16 OSB boards, 2x4 studs cut into stakes, liner is same stuff used to shrink wrap yatchs

Re: Fixing surface issues

Postby goblue35 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Had the same issues here in michigan. I went around and removed the large ridges with ice scraper and resurfaced twice with homeboni. The ridges that are left will get roughed out with some skating and then we'll resurface again tonight. The only thing we noticed was some shell ice that we broke up before we resurfaced.

Jimmy3Putt
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 35x52
Materials: 1/2" plywood framed w/2x3 studs.

Postby Jimmy3Putt » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Sounds like a solid plan.

We got hammered with about 4-5 inches of slush on my perfect ice surface Sat and Sun.
I decided not to touch it and to just let it freeze Sunday night.
It was frozen solid after an evening in single digits.

I think it just added 4 inches to my slab. (appears to be a good move?)

Got another 4 inches of snow Mon night so I didn't bother resurfacing then.

Just got home and hosed the ice down.
I didn't bother chipping anything until after I see what the resurface does.
It doesn't look that bad glistening in the moonlight....

I'm pretty confident that after some skating and another resurface or two it'll be beautiful again.

Tcwoodrn
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Tcwoodrn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Same issue. I'm in the middle of Michigan and although I got most of the slush off, the weight had already forced water up and caused a 1/8" or so raise in half. I tried to homboni (I pull a carpet behind it) but the carpet kept freezing to the ice!

I have been flooding the low side with hot water for the past two days and just flooded everything again this afternoon. I'm debating about going back to the homboni minus the carpet to just get an even pull.

Thoughts?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 am

I always resurface without a carpet/towel/fabric on my rinkrake/homeboni. If you take your time and lay down a nice even swath of water on each pass, you can get great ice without worrying about your towel freezing to the ice.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

DDT
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32x48
Materials: boards 2x8 , brackets 2X4

Postby DDT » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:43 pm

I have a similar issue here. Sunday Temps were in the sixties with heavy rain. So far this week it has been cold for my rink to start refreezing, however last night we got about 3-4 four inches of heavy wet snow. This morning my rink looks like most of snow melted and now outer edges are rough, funny seems the snow stayed in the middle of the rink. I know I need another today until I can walk on it. So my question is wait until I can walk on it, clean as much off the middle as possible and re-flood until covered. Would it help if I re-flood with hot water?

This will be my fourth year and this is the first time I have run into issues with temps and snow....

Skate-Hard
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 70
Materials: Home made wood construction, clear mono netting with aluminum support posts and aluminum light posts

Postby Skate-Hard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Carefull putting to much water on in really cold temps (under 5). I know it sounds like a good idea but you can get air pockets if you put a lot of water on because the top layer freezes to fast. If the top layer freezes with a 1/2' of water it will shatter when the skaters skate over it. I suggest several or a lot of thin layers. In MN I can flood even below zero but I have to keep moving and apply very thin layers. I know it takes longer but it pays off. Good luck

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”