[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Analyzing why it took so long for my rink to freeze -

Analyzing why it took so long for my rink to freeze

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jschultz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 44 x 84
Materials: NiceRink system
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Analyzing why it took so long for my rink to freeze

Postby jschultz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 pm

This is my fourth season, and I have moved up to an 84' x 44' rink. We had an early patch of really cold weather that, in seasons past on our 64' x 32' rink, would have had us skating already. However with the new rink, I was only able to get on the ice by myself during the last night of cold, and it was still cracking and popping some in the middle. Below you can see our weather, when my flood completed, and when I got on the ice right before the thaw.

So I'm trying to figure out why this freeze took significantly longer. Three things I've come up with thus far:

1) This rink is deeper (17" at it's worst point), and much more of the total rink area is "deep" than on the former.

2) We got hit with snow, water seeped over the side, and all along the edges it trashed the ice and froze the slush. The middle was able to withstand the snow (ice was good underneath), but I'm guessing it also prevented it from freezing as quickly? That's where all the popping was happening during my one skate, on the "good" ice.

3) This was the earliest we ever dropped the liner here in NW Indiana; is it possible the rink water had to absorb all of the "warmth" out of the ground, thus delaying the freeze?

For you veterans, which of these (or maybe all?) is the primary culprit?

How detrimental is snow on top to adding depth to your ice block when freezing up for the first time?

Is clear ice or frozen slush ice stronger? Does one gain depth faster than the other?

If I had installed my rink 20 feet to the left (my elevation calculations failed me), I think I could take at least 4" of water off the total depth, maybe more. We have a thaw coming, and I'm seriously considering draining, moving the necessary boards to re-position the rink, and re-flooding. If the increased water depth is my primary culprit, I think it makes sense to try to mitigate it. I'm worried about how long it's going to take to get ice back if we have the mid-winter thaws of my first two seasons. I've got at least 30,000 gallons in there at the moment; would you veterans drain and move the rink to lower the total water depth, given we're still early in the season? Am I nuts for considering this? I'm just really, really paranoid about not being able to have the family skate after 8+ days of highs at or below freezing....

Thanks for listening, I know this rambled on for a bit. I had to come vent here because the wife is tired of hearing it!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Analyzing why it took so long for my rink to freeze

Postby kevmac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 am

If I had to pick one, it would be snow on the ice. Snow will definitely act as an insulator. The depth of the water isn't necessarily going to change the freezing time to skate but it will obviously take longer to freeze completely solid to the ground. Latent heat from the ground could also lend a hand since 30,000 gallons of water is going to take a longer time to get cold.

I can't vouch for which is actually stronger, clear or slush, but they are both just frozen water. I don't mind seeing small amounts of frozen slush on top of my ice as long as it's consistent across the entire rink. If you think about how that slush was formed, water seeping from below existing ice to form ice on top, you are removing the insulator (snow) and gaining thickness.

It would be a cold day in hell before I moved my rink once it was up.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

MLeslie347
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 80
Materials: Nicerink bracket and 18" board system

Re: Analyzing why it took so long for my rink to freeze

Postby MLeslie347 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Experienced the same thing with my rink this year (year 5). Had even colder temps than what you saw and although I formed a good 4-5" skatable surface within 4 days or so, the water at the bottom of the deeper end of my rink (12-14" at the deepest corner) took close to 10 days to freeze solid, which has never happened before. In my case, and likely at least partially responsible for your situation, I'm sure the residual "warmth" of the unfrozen ground radiated enough heat to keep the slab from freezing through as quickly as normal.

Granted, as previously mentioned the slush you encountered, would also certainly slow your freezing process from the top down, I suspect the warm ground also could have been a major factor as it was in my case.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”