[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Shell Ice -

Shell Ice

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shell Ice

Postby mtbhk44 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Guys - Rink Rookie here. My first freeze turned out great. No problems at all. This isn't so hard is it? Well, yeah, it's been getting interesting the last couple of weeks. We had a really odd snowstorm with VERY heavy wet snow which I thought ruined the rink (or I did, whichever) and then it was saved by a freezing rain storm two days later. To make a long story short, since the freezing rain storm, I've been having more and more of a problem with shell ice. I can't seem to kick it. It pops up everywhere - I'll use my rink rake, go inside to clean up, come back out and shell ice starts forming.

I follow all of the directions you guys have provided and yet I still get shell ice. I just broke up all of it, swept it away and then hot water flooded the entire rink. Sure enough, where I didn't have shell ice before, I now have shell ice. It's about 15 degrees here and I'm flooding with hot water. Should I be flooding with cold? Why does this keep happening and how do I prevent it from continuing to happen. I am watching the ice shell right in front of my eyes and it's driving me nuts. It's making the rink almost unskateable. I even tried some bucket dumps this afternoon, but that only worked in a few spots. This is becoming a full time job!

Any and all help/ideas would be great. Thanks!

-Matt

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Shell Ice

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 am

It may be too cold to remedy it for now. Try to flood when it's in the 20's and see if that helps.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes

Postby mtbhk44 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:34 am

Joe - I'm confused with all of this, b/c I was hot water rink raking in January with awesome results. It was almost too easy. It was pretty cold in January here on Long Island too.

Am I using TOO much hot water? Should I try using the rake with cold water or cold water flooding it? The results last night with the hot water flood were better, but I still had some flaking. I broke it up while it was starting to flake and dumped a bucket of hot water in the area - that definitely helped.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high

Postby soupy01833 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 am

The more water you use the more likely you are to get shell ice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 am

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 am

Definitely too much water. Walk faster with the rink rake and don't doddle in one area too long. My rink is 32'x75'; it takes me 8 passes and about 10-15 minutes to resurface the rink. In and out as fast as possible, lay down just enough water to cover the old ice.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

CoachJim33
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x24
Materials: 3/4 in 8x4 plywood ripped in 16" for low boards.
3 full 8x4 sheets for shooting background.

Postby CoachJim33 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Guys, I don't have a rink rake yet, so just resurface with open end of hose. I figure I'm using about. 50% of the flow rate. Too much?? Should I go less. My results have been pretty good, but hearing less is more makes me wonder...

I've also hot water washed with a mop bucket of hot water using a window washing head...kinda acts like the homeboni.

Thoughts?

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 am

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie

Postby mtbhk44 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 am

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 pm

I don't use a towel either.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”