[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Rink Boards -

Rink Boards

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ajburnside
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rink Boards

Postby ajburnside » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm trying to figure out what type of wood to use for my rink boards. I'd love to use 1/2 OSB for money reason ($9 a sheet), but I'm concerned that a puck will go right through it.

What have people found when they make their boards out of plywood?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Rink Boards

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am

Are you building tall boards (ie, framed with 2x4, etc)? Or just building your rink with ripped plywood?

I built my first rink with the cheapest 7/16's OSB and it lasted 3 years (and I left it up one entire offseason in the rain and elements, so that didn't help). 1/2" ply should be fine for at least that many years. Just know that with any wooden rink, you may need to replace pieces here and there as the years go by. But if you can put a puck through 1/2" ply, take a video and send to some scouts :)

UPDATED: Sorry, just to be clear...I don't recommend 7/16th's OSB unless that's the only thing you can afford. Go as thick as you can hack financially. I was just young and cheap and made do. But you end up replacing it all in short order the cheaper and thinner you go.
Last edited by Joe on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 am

The problem with OSB is that it will get soft faster than plywood if it gets wet. I have 1/2" plywood on my side boards, 2 sheets of 1/8" plywood on the curved corners (easier to bend) and 3/4" plywood on the ends behind the nets.

I have put a puck through the 3/4" plywood but unfortunately I had some help from age, water and a family of chipmunks so I didn't take a video.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high

Postby soupy01833 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:38 am

Kevmac,

How did you do the top rails in the corners?

ajburnside
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby ajburnside » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:30 pm

I've done some wasted hours researching the strength of OSB and some people swear that it's less durable than standard plywood, but most of the data shows that it has the exact same impact strength.

But like you said kevmac, I'm more concerned about the strength over a year with a few possible ground thaws and re-freezes.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 pm

I was fortunate enough to purchase the corner boards from a previously owned rink but I am now down to eight remaining from the twelve I started with and I know I have to replace them this summer. Another member here, corbyville, has shared plans and brought his wood to a wood shop that uses computers to cut sheets of plywood into arcs and then nails them together. After analyzing my top rails over the last couple of years, I'm pretty sure that my 2x4 top and bottom rails were cut from a 2x8 or 2x10. I think I am going to attempt this with my Sawzall this summer or possibly purchase a jigsaw. My wife will probably say something along these lines, "Do you really need another saw in the garage?!"
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm

OSB is strong, until it gets wet. Then add in a few freeze/thaw nights and days and it starts to fall apart. hit it with a hard shot and its toast.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”