[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
weather men -

weather men

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

weather men

Postby soupy01833 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:14 am

So, I decided to start over during this thaw. I never really could fix my liner and lots too much water. I busted out all the old ice with a sledge hammer. Fixed some tricky spots with soil and added a new liner. Weather man predicted juts flurries so I decided to fill the 8000 gallons I needed. Well 7 hours in and we get 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow. Since I was filling and it was not frozen it is mixed with the water. It does float so it is just the top layer of water. I guess now all I can do is wait for the cold coming in a day or so and see what happens and what needs to be done. At least it is very level.

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: weather men

Postby david » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm

No problem. Snow is made of the exact same thing as the stuff you've filled your liner with. ;)

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:31 pm

That us what i am hoping for. It has the tiniest bit of bumps but nothing a resurface will not fix. Now i just need the cold coming this week withiut added snow until it can support weight.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:34 am

So is it slush or just snow on top of water? I had snow on top of water my first year...and the snow insulated the water for a couple weeks so I couldn't get out there. Good news for you is we are getting bitter cold this week (highs in the single digits) so you should be ok.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 am

it was the 6 inches of snow that mixed with the unfrozen water. turned to slush and floated to the top. So I had 2 inches of unfrozen slush on top of all the unfrozen water. The slush is now frozen so now it is just the waiting game to see when it is strong enough to support weight. Maybe a day or 2.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 am

Oh ok, you're fine then. Slush freezes very quickly once it's cold. My issue, years ago, was that a small storm turned into 18", the top foot of which just sat on top of my water. ForEVER. You won't have this issue.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:02 am

last question: Is frozen slush weaker than pure ice? I ask this because if the slush is frozen then I get 4 inches total will that be enough to support weight?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

Frozen slush is ice. :-)

If you have 4" of ice, whether from slush or not, it should be able to support your weight.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks everyone. I feel like a 2nd year guy since I installed 2 liners and went through 2 fills. Learn a little each time.

More support, more dirt so the liner cannot go under the boards, Make sure nothing sharp on the boards or under the liner. It is all good.

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes

Postby mtbhk44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 pm

So it's snowing here. The rink never completely froze so my rink is now 100% slush. Once that freezes I should be able to resurface and skate? We are dying here - in fact the whole neighborhood is holding their breath - I'm the first one in town to build a rink.

It's supposed to get pretty cold here the next week or so - single digits at night for the next 3 nights..........

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”