[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Snow on thin ice -

Snow on thin ice

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Snow on thin ice

Postby david » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:08 am

My rink barely managed to get a top frozen layer (1 inch) before some snow came. I obviously can't walk on the ice, but my instinct tells me to get rid of that snow ASAP.

What are my options here?

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner

Re: Snow on thin ice

Postby david » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 am

My impatience won, so I flooded the rink with hot water. Took about 10 minutes or less on my little rink. Looks very promising at the moment.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Typically,I recommend leaving the snow on thin ice. Too much of a hassle to remove and the ice will usually thicken under the snow if it's not too-too deep. Or you know, just flood it with hot water! 8>)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

onthinice_10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x 40
Materials: level 2x6 frame, steaked ,OSB infill to sloped ground. 18 " deep end 4" shallow end.

Postby onthinice_10 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 pm

I have used a roof rake for same issue I had in New Hampshire.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 pm

With that little snow, I'd have been inclined to leave it be. Flooding water over snow over thin ice can be risky unless you can fully saturate ALL the snow (if you have a small rink, or if the snow isn't deep, or both). I've heard stories of folks trying to "flood the snow" and ending up with splattered slush here and there which froze into an uneven and bumpy mess. So it's risky.

I, too, have used the roof rake (my first year, actually), but I only consider it now as a last resort. Someday I'll build this out into a blog post, but my approach for "snow over thin ice is" as follows:

-If it's going to be VERY cold, leave it be. The ice will still freeze in the bitter cold, even if under snow.

-If it's going to be warm and/or it's going to rain, leave it be. The warm temps and rain will melt the snow, or at least turn it to slush, which will freeze once it gets cold again.

-If it just sits somewhere in the middle, right around freezing, but there are cold temps coming soon, I'd consider the roof rake. This gets the thin ice exposed to the upcoming cold air, which will freeze it. But expect lots of bumps and an ugly surface which you'll need to flood to reclaim. I never recovered from my roof-raking that first year, and had a very distinct "good area" and "bad area" for the rest of the season as a result. It's just too difficult to pull snow off a thin slab in such a way that it's all smooth when you're done.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”