[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
flooding rink issue / question -

flooding rink issue / question

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

flooding rink issue / question

Postby deke302 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 am

I tried to resurface my rink by flooding it and I ran the water through the hose. It is not hot water just cold water through the hose. I am not sure how to do it cause I used a nozzle that made the water sprinkle out like a shower head and that roughed up the ice really bad. Then went to friends house and filled two 5 gallon buckets with hot water and dumped those on it and that helped but now the water is ever so slightly uneven. I am not sure what to do, I don't have homeboni at this time but may need to look into it. Any advice....

It is not HORRIBLE yet. My kids skated on it the other day and it clearly bothered me more than them.

Deke
Derek "Deke"

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: flooding rink issue / question

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 am

Yeah, when I resurface I either use my homeboni (rarely) or just let the water run out of the hose. Using a spray nozzle tends to create clumps of snow/slush which freeze into rocks.

Bucket dumps will help, but I fall under the camp that they don't have to be hot water. Cold water bucket dumps, an ice/floor scraper, and some skating (which helps to smooth down the bumps) can fix a surface like the one you describe.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner

Postby deke302 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Do you move the hose around when you flood it or just let the water come out of the hose and let gravity work? The problem I was running into was that the water was coming out of the hose and would just melt the top layer cause it was so much warmer. I would assume you move the hose around a bit?
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am

You want a nice thin layer of water on top of your ice. The thinner the water, the faster it freezes. In other words, move the hose! NEVER let a hose sit in one place as that will ruin your rink in a matter of minutes as you will be left with a canyon where the water was running.

Then there would be another post here asking how to fix the canyon... :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah, I think I mentioned this on the other thread, but I move around in a grid fashion of sorts. I start out the furthest point from my spigot, and I'll move the hose to create maybe a 6x6 square, then I fill in the square. Then I shuffle over a few feet and do the same thing. The hose is CONSTANTLY moving so I get a thin layer. Often by the time I am 20' away, that first part has frozen. I haven't had an issue with shale ice in years so this method works.

Leaving the hose in one spot and going inside for a half hour will mean your warm water will bore a hole through your ice and you will get close to no resurfacing accomplished.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

onthinice_10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x 40
Materials: level 2x6 frame, steaked ,OSB infill to sloped ground. 18 " deep end 4" shallow end.

Postby onthinice_10 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:11 pm

got a home made thing a friend made for me and it should work but it was such a hassle I gave up.
Used to use a hose but got that popcorn surface texture if I used a nozzle.
With out a nozzle worked better as long as I moved it in a way to keep the working edge wet. (start far away and work closer to the hose bib.)
Last year didn't have hot water available anymore so I used a pair of 5 gal buckets and let one filling at the hose bib and I walked the full one out to the far corner and dumped it. 20 pails did about an 1/8" inch cover. This was good for fixing humps that would be otherwise, unnoticeable. but still had to work a pattern to keep a " wet edge" or I would get ridges where early buckets froze and a new splash would meet it.
This I have 4 Rubbermaid totes on each corner that I fill, once all filled I slide it on to the ice and tip it out. this accomplishes the same thing but never a ridge.
Each night of use, I clean off the snow, scrapings and snots -fill a couple of totes and put them on the ice I DIP a LARGE beach towel into it and walk backwards dragging it for about 20 ft.- then re dip it at the 2nd tote. keep moving the totes or the cold water will still cause a melt imprint. This leaves an incredible finish. Don't stop for a second or the towel will freeze like a tongue to a pole.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:58 pm

I use the big rubbermaid garbage pails as well. I only have two, but I made a rig up out of copper pipe, couple elbows, a T, and a shutoff, so I can hook it to my hose and fill my two buckets at the same time. I throw a soccer ball in each one, go inside where it's warm and watch out the window. Once I see my two soccer balls floating near the top, I throw my coat on, go out and dump my two bins, and I'm done. Less time out in the cold, and more time watching the hockey game.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”