[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Is everyone using hot water when resurfacing? -

Is everyone using hot water when resurfacing?

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is everyone using hot water when resurfacing?

Postby david » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 am

I understand that the hot water loosens the crystal structure of the old ice, so a new solid surface is created when it freezes, but is it very important? I'm totally new into this backyard rink, and I'm still waiting for my "swimming pool" to freeze.
I mean, is it "pointless" to resurface with cold water from my well? How important is it?
And the hotter the better? Like 60C/140F?
Last edited by david on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagger
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 25x50
Materials: 2x6's with a 5 mil liner from NJ Supply Co.

Re: Are everyone using hot water when resurfacing?

Postby Jagger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:17 am

The great thing about hot water, is that it melts all the high bumps and re freezes just as fast. Also if there is light snow on the surface, cold water will sometimes leave lots of bumps if it doesn't melt the snow fast enough... just my experience.

RinkRatRyan
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x80
Materials: 2x6 frame, 24" OSB side walls, rounded corners, Homeboni on lawntractor

Re: Is everyone using hot water when resurfacing?

Postby RinkRatRyan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 am

I have found that using cold water makes an ice layer that does not really "stick" to the rink and can flake off with aggressive skating. The colder the air temperature the worse this is. I now use only hot water and do this repeatedly in layers to build up ice. Another benefit of using hot water is that a warm hose is much easier to roll up than a cold stiff one!

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for your replies guys :)

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 pm

It might just be me, but I try to never over-think things when it comes to rinks. I probably flood less than 10 times per season, sometimes less than five, and even though I have a warm-water spigot, I very rarely use it. I flooded last week with cold water (no homeboni, no resurfacer, just the open end of a garden hose) and my surface was like glass, with no weak ice that flaked off with my 200lbs skating around on it. Don't get me wrong, hot/warm water works great and has its place, but I don't want anyone visiting the site and thinking that because they don't have access to warm water, they can't properly maintain their rink. It doesn't have to be that complicated.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 am

Good point Joe! Keep it simple. I like that :)

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner

Postby deke302 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 am

Joe,

How did you use the hose? Can you somehow explain how you resurfaced it wthat way. Thank you!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner

Postby deke302 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm

This makes total sense and I love the idea. Simple and easy. I need to buy a little bit bigger hose and I am all set. Thank you!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 am

I have never used hot/warm water to flood the ice and I'm going on my 14th year of having a backyard rink. I've never had issues of my ice flaking off during skating because I resurface in very thin layers and try not to resurface again until that layer is frozen. Too much water, whether warm or cold is going to result in either shale ice or ice bumps. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”