[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
heattrak to smooth huge ridges? -

heattrak to smooth huge ridges?

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
skate_ma
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

heattrak to smooth huge ridges?

Postby skate_ma » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 am

Have widespread ridges over more than 1/2 my 32x64 rink. basically didn't remove snow in a timely fashion and weight of it pushed water up around edges and onto surface - mostly at deeper end. shallow end is 4inches and deep end 12 inches. unfortunately got snowblower onto surface and was essentially removing snow and slush, leaving a completely decimated surface. surface was slush and re-froze with imprints of snowblower, footprints, and large chunks. disaster. scraping and using hot water probably not feasible. today temps in teens but later should get just above freezing and tomorrow near 50, they say, here in massachusetts.

question: anybody use the "heattrak" mats designed to be laid down on walkways to melt snow? seems I could drag the mat around slowly and melt the ice ridges down significantly (or good enough pre-rain). not keen on electricial contraption on ice but it is designed to be used with snow/ice and has gfci.

If not, any other suggestions for widespread ridges and general disarray? lesson learned on clearing snow early and often but in the meantime I need solution. thanks!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: heattrak to smooth huge ridges?

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Water is the quickest and easiest solution to most rink surface issues.

Flood your rink, let it freeze, skate on it, repeat each step as necessary.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Dale
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 30
Materials: 2x 10"

Postby Dale » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 am

Hate to say that I agree, but I was there 2 weeks ago. See one of my earlier posts. I scraped it as best as I could and flooded it again. It improved noticeably, but was still choppy. Skated again and flooded again. Still a few high spots, but much, much better.

skate_ma
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby skate_ma » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks guys. I get it.

The heattrak thing seems like a terrible idea, now that my initial panic has subsided.

I did end up flooding, letting it freeze, then attacking high ridges and chunks with a tool sort of like the floor scraper (its a heavy iron tool used to remove manhole covers back in the 50's, acquired by my grandfather somehow - it was awesome for the job). Then I shoveled off the ridge debris and flooded again. Thanks to silly weather, temps rose from 15F to 53F for one day here in Boston and returned back to 11F today - causing a great melt/refreeze.

It's much better, but choppy. Plan to skate, repeat...

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”