[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
New England weather -

New England weather

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Doublekay
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 18 x 38
Materials: Rough sawed 1" x10" &12". Needed to level boards more in future
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New England weather

Postby Doublekay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:04 am

So doing my first rink.. Made a few errors but may recover.. Used rough cut 1x10s and 1x12s and a 20x40 blue tarp from Xmas tree shop. Made rink 18 x38.. Apparently a 20x40 is not the finished size (who knew). Laid it down anyways, used some clear plastic I has on the low end that was short. Got about 1/2 full and the high side was to short on tarp but 4" of ice now frozen solid. Friend gave me a huge roll of clear so I olaced on top of ice that was there and kept filling.. All good just need it to solid up. 3" on low side 12" on model

Now with rain and 40 in nh the next week does anyone have suggestions of anything that can or should be done to mitigate any damage?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: New England weather

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 am

Welcome...I'm down in Bedford.

Just so I understand...you're using three pieces of tarp to fill your rink? Are they connected via seams in any way? Can you post a picture? It's normally frowned upon to use blue tarp as they'll attract the sun and it'll need to be colder to make good ice, but my larger concern is if you have multiple pieces of plastic trying to hold water in.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:59 am

It sounds like a Frankenrink with that tarp description. Sounds like you had ice with the initial 2 pieces of tarp and then laid the clear tarp on top of the existing ice. You should be okay since the ice on the top tarp would melt first. My concern would come if it gets so warm that the top ice melts and then the bottom ice starts to melt. Not sure what effect that would have on the clear tarp.

I used a blue tarp for a couple of years but I'm a bit farther north of you guys so I had no real issues, until later in the season when the sun hit the blue tarp.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Doublekay
Rink Rookie

Postby Doublekay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks. I did update profile. I am just outside Plymouth nh.

Yes I wish I found this site sooner as I did use the blue tarp which was too short so I then used a clear plastic for the gap in high end. Did not seal but folded and iced first. Then I did not go high enough on boards on low end, but already had solid ice from low end 3/4 coverage towards high end... Then was given a tarp that could cover the whole thing so I went over ice on low end, over thin ice on high end and continued to fill. I am getting some leaching out but holding back most of wast I put in. I was trying to go cheap using the $39 Xmas tree shop blue tarp which is now biting me in the butt. Wish I had done different. About 15 years ago I flooded the whole yard and did not use any liner but killed all the grass. Plus now we need room for the sledding hill and snowmobile trail/track.

What you see in Picts is low end boards 12" with 10" on top, and the rest 10".
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.43 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.73 KiB) Viewed 8754 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:53 pm

How much water do you have on top of the clear top right now? I would try to get as much ice on top of the clear as possible.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Doublekay
Rink Rookie

Postby Doublekay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 pm

5-6" on low end and maybe 3 on most of the high..

cardarellej
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 16x32
Materials: plywood and nicerink brackets

Postby cardarellej » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:45 pm

"a great day for hockey" was from Badger Bob Johnson the penguins coach.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”