[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
cracking -

cracking

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

cracking

Postby soupy01833 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Well, maybe am I just too impatient for this hobby. I decided I wanted to resurface to get the bumps left by Mondays slush. I could not clean it properly as the ice was not strong enough. I can stand on the deep end with no issues but the shallow end cracked enough for water to come through from below. It did not fall through but you can see the distinctive crack. I also have water seepage from the sides on the shallow end but no so much on the deep end. I drilled and measured 3.5 inches on the deep end but was too afraid to drill in the shallow end. My deep end is about 13 inches and shallow around 4 for total water.

My question is, am I not waiting long enough or do I have a bigger problem. I did a small flood using my grandson this evening and it froze already but I even heard cracking with him on the ice. He weighs around 100 pounds. I do not believe I have a leak as the liner held water for 3 weeks before the this. Is there a chance the ground is keeping the shallow end from freezing right now since I filled too early?

I am such a newbie and will hopefully learn from my mistakes

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Re: cracking

Postby Jeff22 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I'd say let mother nature take care of it... give it some time and it should freeze up enough for you to get out there and fix the cracks, should you choose to. Some guys say just leave them and others, such as myself, stuff a bit of slush down into them to fill em up. Either way, I don't think you have a problem. It'll freeze and then you can work on getting rid of the cracks and getting the rough stuff smoothed out.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Like Jeff said, leave it alone and let it freeze. You can't rush Mother Nature - besides, this is by far the earliest season I have on record so just sit tight; don't force it and it'll all come together in the end.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks Guys. Will try and be patient :)

corbyville
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 40x80
Materials: 2x4 x 3/4 ply boards.

Postby corbyville » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am

I got 4 or 5 big cracks in my rink.
I just did as mentioned above..... filled with slush and used puck to smooth.
I have flooded twice over top now and everything is fine.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 am

We are all good this morning. Very solid. Now I have to work on the surface a little, Thanks for the help.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”