[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps - Page 2 -

Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps

Postby Jeff22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm

I've used a piece of tuck tape with some acoustic sealant smeared on it to patch leaks under water with good results.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby soupy01833 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:21 am

I do have another question on this matter. After I fix the leak I will need to raise the water level as I am down around 4-5 inches on the low end. Should I do it gradually as that may take a long time or should I try and use a hose. The temps this weekend are supposed to be warm so I think there will be some melting and some run off to the low end.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:55 am

I would say all at once but be careful with your 'floating' slab. If you are going to do it all at once, I might recommend that you take your time and run the hose around the perimeter of the ice first so that you thaw anything that is attached to the liner. This might help in limiting any damage to the liner.

In other words, I would rather see you run the hose along the sides instead of laying it in the middle of the rink. This will damage any existing ice and is more work to fix than you would think. A single floating slab of ice on a body of water would be much easier to deal with in my opinion.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high

Postby soupy01833 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am

since the patch is on the perimeter ( I think I have 2) then I would probably fill from those points. It is only the deep end that is not frozen solid so it is like skating downhill right now but not that noticeable. I may try to wait for the snow that is coming and the warm weather after that to do some melting. That may fill the deep end a little mkore since the shallow end never dropped.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Shallow end didn't drop because there was no water underneath it, thus it had no room to drop. Hopefully water under the deep end will raise that ice back close to level or build back up from the top.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”