[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps -

Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
UMD05
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 42x26
Materials: Mix of 3/4 BCX framed with 2x4s in 4' sections & 2'x8' 3/4 BCX. 2x4 angle braces.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps

Postby UMD05 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Is it okay to leave snow on top of the ice for a few days if we aren't getting above 10F? I have about an inch on there now & probably won't get to skate again until Thursday. I'm assuming it'll be fine since it's so cold but I thought I'd ask so I don't potentially spend Thursday night repairing the surface instead of skating.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Leaving snow on the ice in cold temps

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 am

I always like to keep my ice exposed to the air. What can happen, even in cold temps, is that the ice starts to bond to the snow (don't ask me for the scientific explanation...this will have to do, haha). Then when you eventually shovel it, you're left with a bumpy, orange-peel effect that is tough to skate on and will require a resurface. I'm not certain this happens 100% of the time, but if you're hoping to just shovel it off in a few days and skate, I'd advise you to shovel it now and leave the ice exposed to the air where you can be certain it will be ready to go when you are.

Side note: even when it's below freezing, the ice tends to "resurface" itself with the sun during the day. You'll find that if you skate at night, clear the shavings, then come out the next night, your grooves aren't as deep and many of your skate lines are gone altogether. This won't happen if you don't shovel, though.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 am

I am a huge proponent of 'never leave snow on your ice'. One of the reasons for this is you never know what is around the corner. Mother Nature can be a really big jerk. It never fails that one time you leave some snow on your ice, you get stuck at work and it starts raining or you are all snuggled up in your jammies and a freezing rain storm hits in the middle of the night. Both end up being big messes that are way more work than shoveling a little bit of snow.

That being said, my rink is snow covered right now because I'm just too lazy to shovel it. :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

tsallee
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby tsallee » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Just the way a hockey skate creates a thin layer of melt due to the weight and pressure of the blade, the weight of snow will melt a layer of your ice even in sub-freezing temperatures. This will at best create a bumpy and uneven surface, and at worst turn your top layer into slush. Get the snow off and keep the ice open to the air for best results.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high

Postby soupy01833 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm

well, we had a foot of snow that stayed mostly snow in the shallow end and 4-5 inches of slush in the deep end. I was not sure what to do so I decided to shovel it. OMG next time I am leaving it. We did mange to clear 90% of the rink but the deep end had 6 inches of water by then and floating chunks of slush. Did the best I could and will figure out what to do after it freezes tonight. The slush did manage to lower the slab around 3 inches in the deep end with all the melting. Not sure how that happened. It is still strong enough to support weight and a slow blower so I guess I was lucky. Now I will have to flood over the next week a little at5 a time to get the slab to where it needs to be. I guess next storm I will have to leave the slush to build up the slab on the top.

Oh BTW I think I had so much slush because being just close enough to the coast raised the temps to 33 which was enough for it to end with a little rain.

Every experience I have is a learning one :)

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am

It dropped your slab 3 inches in the deep end because you probably shoveled away that water. :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 am

Yes I did of course. All a leaning experience of what to do and what not to do :)

five8five
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 46x23ft
Materials: 7/16" OSB 18" high, 2' wood stakes

Postby five8five » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm in a similar situation, and leaving the snow on the ice for now.

I'm worried about the eventual slush mess, but don't have much of a choice at this point: my surface isn't thick enough to stand on in most places. But if I don't get rid of the snow, it's going to take longer to freeze. Not sure what the best move is at this point, but will probably just wait a couple days and see where it's at.

I just went out and wiped snow off a few different spots and got mixed results. Some spots are slushy and some are frozen solid under the snow.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Now I have a different issue. It seems I have developed a leak from the slab pushing down. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. oh joy

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I found the leak. It is in the low corner of course where most of the water can go to. Being in the corner might be a tough repair. I tried Tyvek tape and was able to get to both sides but not sure if it is working yet. Time will tell.

Can I just place e6000 over the hole with no liner patch? The hole is not huge and is in a strange position in the corner so this may be the best bet.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”