[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Ice cracking when I resurface?! -

Ice cracking when I resurface?!

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ice cracking when I resurface?!

Postby Reider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Tonight I went out for my first real round of resurfacing. The trouble is the ice started to crack quite a bi. I've attached a pic of one of the areas where it cracked. I have the nice rink resurfacer and I'm running hot water to it. The tempurature outside is -25F with the windchill though there really wasn't much wind to speak of. Hoping you guys have some advice for me. Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.06 KiB) Viewed 5563 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Ice cracking when I resurface?!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 am

That will happen when it gets really cold like -25F. There's really nothing to do to avoid it since there's a good chance it's going to crack whether you are flooding or not. The great thing about that temperature is it takes about 5 seconds for your water to freeze. To patch the crack, just keep resurfacing and it will eventually fill up or you can pack it with snow and lightly soak it; it'll be ice before you know it.

I do prefer to resurface before it hits those temperatures but you can really add a "ton" of ice to your rink when it's that cold.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”