[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Snow and water and slush -

Snow and water and slush

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Snow and water and slush

Postby deke302 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:10 am

Okay so we got a quick skate in on Saturday and then in Nebraska we had this really light fluffy snow for about 24hrs. Total of about 3 inches is all. It started Saturday night and snowed into Sunday morning. We had hockey practice all day from 7:30am to 2:00 with all the boys and their practices. Then when I got home at 3:30 I went out to scoop off the snow and it was slush and water in the lowest parts. What do I do in the future? What do I do now to try and get my ice back to the way it was. It is cold currently -19c and -2 F. I thought the water would freeze back up pretty fast. I think it is from the snow acting as an insulation and then melting but thought others would have some takes on this.

Thanks...
Deke
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Snow and water and slush

Postby kevmac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Two courses of action when it comes to slush:
1) Clear it off as best you can before it freezes
2) Leave it completely alone until it freezes solid.

1) Gets you back to your original ice ASAP, especially when it is -19C.
2) Requires a little patience but can add substantial base to your ice which will come in handy in the later months of the season.

To get it back to the ice's previous quality? Once it's frozen, resurface until it's pristine.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 am

I feel like every time I post I'm saying "Yup, Kev's right" but....yup, Kev's right. Just to add: the WORST thing you can do with slush is decide to shovel, then stop before you're done. Your back will BEG you to stop shoveling, but you can't, as it will soon freeze how you left it. If you do shovel, it will look ugly when you're done....but resurface once it re-freezes (even a few times...with hot water...or do bucket dumps), and you're good.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby soupy01833 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

I wish this was posted before I messed up. I was going to remove the 2 inches of slush but the slab was not strong enough top stand on. so I did the edges and the middle is all frozen slush. how do I fix the unlevel surface now?

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Fill in the shoveled areas with snow and soak it with water, make your own slush then let it freeze. Or if the middle is frozen solid, simply fill in the sides with water until it is close to level of the middle. Let it freeze and then resurface - basically you just added a couple of inches of base to your ice which will hopefully let you skate a few weeks later into the spring.

Alearner
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Alearner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am

Thought I would add to this with a slightly different scenario. We had a decent slab of ice, then 9 inches of snow. In the deep end we ended up with 4-5 inches of slushy snow, the rest of the rink 9 inches of snow. Started shovelling with the intention of getting it all off, but was only able to clear about 1/3 of rink (35x48).

The next day decided to buy a small single stage snowthrower (amazing btw--highly recommeded). Snow thrower made short work of the snow, and any of the remaining slush, but about 1/4 of the rink was left with a frozen ice shelf (froze overnight). Tried chipping it away, but still has a significant shelf.

Not exactly sure what to do--we are supposed to get 3 warm (low 40's) days with rain showers--this might take care of it. May also try to melt the shelf with hot water from my water heater.

I am posting this mostly because I still dont know the right thing to do when you have half snow and half slush. There probably isnt one right thing, but if anyone has any input, it might be good to have it added to the thread.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 pm

I would definitely wait until the warm weather hits and see what effect it has on your ice. Hopefully you get enough rain to level everything off and then it will freeze nice and smooth for you.

There really is no 'right' thing to do when it comes to this. It's unfortunate that you didn't start at the slush end when you shoveled. It's a pain in the butt however always a great idea to remove slush unless it's all the way across the rink.

As for those snowthrowers, they are amazing. I've had one for several years now and I know it has saved me many hours of back-breaking shoveling.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Yep, love my 'thrower.

http://www.backyard-hockey.com/2013/01/ ... w-thrower/

Broke it late last year and never got around to fixing it...need to do that soon. The pull cord locked up and somehow I let the whole summer go without fixing it. Ugh, life.

Anyways, Alearner, where are you located? Fill in the fields in your profile...if you're in the northeast, this warm spell and rain may help. I'm telling all my customers who have ice issues to sit tight for a few days. Mother nature may well resurface for us.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

onthinice_10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x 40
Materials: level 2x6 frame, steaked ,OSB infill to sloped ground. 18 " deep end 4" shallow end.

Postby onthinice_10 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:14 pm

I have found that the weight of the snow pushing down on the ice forces water to come up at the perimeter making the slush form on top of the ice. Getting the snow off the ice ASAP will minimize this. The weight of snow varies of course but water does weight 62 pounds per cubic foots lets say snow may weigh 1/10th of that or 6 psf. that means your 25 x40 rink has 3 tons pushing down if you a foot of snow. we could keep going on and figure the perimeter crack sq footage and you would be amazed of the pressure acting ON THAT CRACK. its late and I can barely spell let alone keep math straight so I wont embarrass myself.
also as snow melts down from air temp the water content will migrate to the bottom to make more slush.

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes

Postby mtbhk44 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

OK - so I had filthy mess earlier tonight. Got a little warm here yesterday then we got 8 inches of snow - under the snow was two inches of slush. Shoveled the entire rink and then cold water flooded the mess so it looks like the first picture. I figure I'll wait for it to freeze and then hot water flood it. Correct?

Was this the right move? Should I have waited for the slush on the bottom to freeze and then shoveled all the snow after the slush froze? I had a really nice base until it thawed a bit on Sunday. Then this happened today. I wasn't sure what to do so I panicked and started shoveling. The second picture is what I ended up with.

Second issue - we are expecting an icy slushy snowy mess on Wednesday to add to my misery - 5 inches of a variety of garbage. How do I handle this? Wait for it all to freeze, shovel the snow and then hot water flood it?
Attachments
IMG_20140203_202919071_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140203_202919071_HDR.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 32273 times
IMG_20140203_193638167.jpg
IMG_20140203_193638167.jpg (179.4 KiB) Viewed 32273 times

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”