[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Too Much Slush? -

Too Much Slush?

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kd_special
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 15x27
Materials: PlyWood Boards/Iron Steaks/Home Depot Vapor Barrier
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Too Much Slush?

Postby kd_special » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Here in Mississauga Ontario We got hit with a slush storm. My slab was half melted and looking sad and low. Then we got this massive dumping of slush snow close to 3 to 4 inches on my ice rink. So what next?

We have 3 cold days (Highs of -5 and sunny) coming up on friday saturday and sunday just in time for the weekend. I wanted to try and take advantage of these days with some ice skating.

If I were to walk on my rink now I would be left with massive show prints that I assume would freeze eventually. I wanted to make it skate-able as soon as possible so my plan was. To wait untill it (the slushy rink) freezes enough to walk on. Then shovel a smooth top layer or the loose stuff off and then try to flood the whole rink with a inch of hot water to try and melt the slush a bit to refreeze with a layer decent enough for skating.

Would that work or is there a better approach? Im hesitant to get rid of the slush as I kinda need it to top off the rink. Before this storm my rink ice level was getting fairly low. With our warmer temps it was still decent for kids to skate on but made alot of slush that was shovelled of after each use. I think thats where all my slab may have gone

thanks in advance for any tips.

kd

kd_special
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 15x27
Materials: PlyWood Boards/Iron Steaks/Home Depot Vapor Barrier

Re: Too Much Slush?

Postby kd_special » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am

I'm gonna try this method out today. The slush is frozen and half the rink has white snow on it. Technically I think I could skate on the bumpy ice that was left from the slush. So I will scrap off whatever I can then flood the whole thing with hot water Unless there is a better way

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Too Much Slush?

Postby kevmac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 am

Scrape off whatever you can and flood.

Glad that you are in a position to even consider flooding. I have over a foot of snow on top of slush on top of humpy ice... it pains me to say this but unless it gets cold this weekend and I find the desire to tackle hours and hours of snow removal, it might be a season for me.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”