[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Ice Humps - Page 2 -

Ice Humps

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Ice Humps

Postby kevmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I like the way you think!! Obviously, I immediately went to YouTube and started watching "Home Improvement" clips with Tim Allen... more power! "ohh ohh ohh"
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

PCMM
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PCMM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Actually I like the Alaska Ice Dragon. But at $3000 each, it's a it expensive for me!! I'm sure that someone could design something with a burner like the dragon, but lighter and less expensive! I was thinking something that looked like a homes one with the burner across the bottom of the T heating the ice indirectly by heating a wide strip of steel. The hot steel does the work of melting the ice and resurfacing. If IMG des Tipton doesn't make sense I'll try to draw something up. The hardest part is safely designing the burners as I still want the unit to be 60 inches wide ( cuts down on the number of passes required)

jpaw
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jpaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm

One way to attack the humps is a plane old electric iron.

It will melt the humps away in pretty good time.

I've used a propane torch from home depot. It takes a lot of time to reduce the bumps. The iron method is a lot more efficient. The only problem is that the neighbors will think you are crazy bending over ironing the ice.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Re: Alaska Ice Dragon

PCMM - you talk about designing burners: what if someone simply picked up some replacement BBQ burners? think we could engineer something with a large steel plate/box and the BBQ burners inside??

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am

Well, I could use the Alaska Dragon today that's for sure. I awoke to look out the bedroom windows and see the entire rink covered in humps. It has been warm since Saturday and it got cold last night. There was never any standing water on the ice before it froze last night so the ice humps were obviously caused by the expanding water inside/under the ice looking for a place to go. There is WAY too many to scrape off so now I am hoping for warmer weather with a little rain then another cold spell; otherwise, I'll be calling it a season.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”