[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
What Can I Expect? Anyone else On Lake Ontario -

What Can I Expect? Anyone else On Lake Ontario

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
kd_special
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 15x27
Materials: PlyWood Boards/Iron Steaks/Home Depot Vapor Barrier
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What Can I Expect? Anyone else On Lake Ontario

Postby kd_special » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi This is my first rink. I have dreamed of having my own since I was a kid. My dad wasn't too big on skating and hockey so I never got one. Now that I'm a Dad I can take the pride in making my own and sharing it with my son and family.

I haven't been able to get out on it as I was only able to walk on it all just this morning. 4 days to freeze I guess. The water level at the lowest point is about 2 inches and its only a small corner of the whole rink. The deepest spot is 7 inches and the whole rink has what looks like an average of 4 to 6 inches. My guide is my 8 Inch boards.

Its only 15 by 27 so I used vapour barrier from home depot it was 100 bucks for 20' x 100' (3 rinks hopefully) It was a cheeper option than a specific tarp. and is 6 mil thick clear.

Im curious if anyone else is in my neck off the woods. Where the weather can be -11 below for a week straight with a High of -5 mid day. Then we can be bombed with 4 or 5 days of highs at +5. Will I find out that the rink is a horrid idea in my area?

I live right on the Lake Ontario in Mississauga. I'm hoping that this year we are going to have good cold weather. I'd hate to be staring at a animal pool in my backyard for too long.

Thanks this site was so helpful. I have done a lot of reading first on this site and it really helped me. Th

Thanks kindly
kd
Attachments
photo-4.jpg
photo-4.jpg (123.07 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
photo-3.jpg
photo-3.jpg (131.04 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
photo-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 11423 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: What Can I Expect? Anyone else On Lake Ontario

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Well for one thing, your rink seems to defy the laws of gravity, that could be an issue. :-)

I'm sure you will come across another member in your same area in your same predicament. We seemed to have all gone through that same issue last year.

Chin up and bear with Mother Nature - she can be ruthless at times (brrrrr it's cold but the ice is nice) but she can be very heartwarming at other times.

Thanks for joining the site and we'll try and help out where we can.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

mbalcs33
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 68 x 42
Materials: 3/4" PT Plywood 16" high and kickplates - NiceRink Brackets and wooden stakes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mbalcs33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 pm

kd,
Rink looks great. Kudos for building it - your son will love it.

I may be a little worried about the corner that is around 2" thick. When it freezes solid and is still cold you may want to add some thickness if you can. Just not sure if 2" will hold up.

As for the weather, I know one thing - you can't count on it either way. Down my way (I'm assuming we're a bit warmer in southern New England) it seems to work in 3s. Every 3rd year the skating is fantastic with skating parties almost every weekend and week night workouts after dinner. Then another 3rd of the seasons it's a bit of a struggle that takes some creativity and hard work to get out on the ice - early morning shinny before the sun softens the ice, or it seems the snowblower is on the ice more than your skates are after a series of snowstorms. Then there are the years that challenges your fortitude - like last year.

But even in those years I have no regrets. I don't know about you but what would I be using my yard for in the winter anyway? I can't tell you how many times I've turned to my 8yo and said "let's go outside and work on the rink". Some great bonding time, and anytime away from the boob tube and video games is ok in my book. It also builds a sense of pride in building it, maintaining a great surface, and as you'll find out, improving it year after year.

Good luck and keep the faith,

Mike
Mike
Skating on ponds for 45 years, a backyard rink for 14

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The important thing is that we watch each other's backs out on the ice. That's what matters"
Zdeno Chara

kd_special
Rink Rookie

Postby kd_special » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for your tips guys,

I am really excited to get out on it. Unfortunately my son split his head open playing in his bedroom with his friends in the dark. He has a gash in his head with staples in it. So he will not be able to go to hockey or use the rink for another week. He is so bummed out. Plus even more its supposed to get to +5 degrees out this weekend until Wednesday So I imagine the slap will take a fair hit. I will get my first experience with repairing a half melted slab. I should make my homeboni during this warm period. So its ready for the -10 degrees mid week.

I am definitely going to go out myself and a couple beers and remember what its like to be a kid on the pond again. I really look forward to when my son is old enough to help me build the rink. That sounds like an unreal father son experience. The stuff they make movies from.

I don't think I can raise that corner up to much because at my lowest point there is only about a inch or two before the top of the boards. At least if that corner has to stay thin with Ice its not really a high traffic area.

Thanks bunch
kd

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 am

That's too bad about your son.

In the summer you are going to have to lower that corner or level off the other three. The rest of your slab should survive the +5' weather but I would be concerned about the 2" corner and the warm weather. Hopefully it's not directly in the sun.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

PCMM
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby PCMM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm

KD,

Where are you located on Lake ontario? This last week has been phenominal rink building weather!! Sorry to hear about your son's injury! Mon-wed of this week wont be so great (temps up to 4c) but yourrink should survive until the weekend when the temps go back down. Just watch out it's supposed to rain on Tuesday. if you have any snow on your rink remove it before it rains or you'll end up with a mess when it refreezes

kd_special
Rink Rookie

Postby kd_special » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes PCMM this week was great thats why i decided to fill on sunday night. After reading on this site when to fill. It worked perfect.

I skated last night (sat) for the first time. Since my son wasn't able to go I made my wife and some wine get out there with me to admire my hard work. It was fun and the ice was super smooth. I have been keeping the snow off of it each time it snows. As well I have noticed the thin ice part is never in the sun for more than an hour at 9 am to 10 am and the rest of the slab is only in sun till about noon 1. The rest of the day its shaded. Its been pretty solid during the daytime and definitely usable when where as the left over lines of snow on the drive way have melted after shovelling during the daytime in the sun.

I have read the forecast about the rain and it does concern me. I assume thats no good for rinks. I'll have to wait and see how much we get. But after those three days of heat its supposed to be a solid week of -5 Highs.

thanks
Kd

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

You will definitely benefit from having the majority of your rink in a shaded area. Don't worry about the rain as long as you have all the snow cleared off the ice. Rain is our natural 'resurfacer' and fixer of blemishes.

Cheers
Kevin

kd_special
Rink Rookie

Postby kd_special » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:21 pm

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Don't worry about the spouse: they always come around eventually whether it's shoveling or increasing the size of the rink. :-)

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”