[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
-20'C is where it's at -

-20'C is where it's at

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

-20'C is where it's at

Postby kevmac » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 am

I know I have spouted off on this site about resurfacing between -5'C and -15'C but I take it all back. -20'C is where it's at for laying down new ice and fixing bumps/heaves in your ice. Earlier this evening I removed the snow and frail ice caused by rain/snow over the weekend. I spent two hours clearing and then flooding twice. I went and played hockey and got home at midnight at which point I decided to flood. Well folks, if you can order -20'C weather, that's the time to fix any flaws in your rink. 1.25 hours and about 8 resurfaces later, the rink looks like glass and it will be smooth sailing tomorrow night for an evening skate (and possibly in the afternoon as well if I work from home!)

Wish I would have taken a before pic but here's the after at 1:30 AM, almost as smooth as glass:

Just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow night - a low of -30'C (-22'F) with a windchill of -41'C/'F (same temp) so I am glad I got the rink fixed tonight. Baileys by the fireplace tomorrow night!
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

mbalcs33
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 68 x 42
Materials: 3/4" PT Plywood 16" high and kickplates - NiceRink Brackets and wooden stakes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: -20'C is where it's at

Postby mbalcs33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am

Great news Kevmac. I know you've mentioned before that anything below 5 (-15C) is too cold because ice become's too brittle. A few years ago I did have a problem with ice that was resurfaced when it was very cold.
How do you flood? Did you do anything differently than normal? Cold or hot water? Homeboni, hose, or flood dumps? Many small layers or fewer larger layers?
We've got the deep freeze heading to New England and I'll be working on getting my slab of frozen slush hopefully looking like yours.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike
Skating on ponds for 45 years, a backyard rink for 14

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The important thing is that we watch each other's backs out on the ice. That's what matters"
Zdeno Chara

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: -20'C is where it's at

Postby kevmac » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

My method of attack is a simple rink-rake (homeboni) attached to the outdoor spigot - normal temperature water (think my wife would kill me if I used hot water). My rink-rake is 4' wide with 1/8" holes every 1" and I just make sure to walk at a nice even pace so that each layer is 'consistent'. At the temps last night, the one swath was practically frozen as I walked the next one so you avoid the inevitable build-up of slush from dragging the hose. By the time I make my 8 swaths (33'/4') I'm ready to start over at the top (although at that temp, you need to go in side and warm up every once in awhile).

It was also a good time to work on the kids' slide in the front of the house which you can read about here:
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”