[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians) -

Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians)

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians)

Postby kevmac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Fellow Canadians,

Lend me your ears. I would like to know what hose you use for flooding the rink. Over the past decade, I have gone through a multitude of hoses. If a hose is advertised as kink-free, I can kink it. If a hose is advertised as construction grade, it must be very light construction. I cannot find a hose that can withstand the wear and tear of -10'C rink flooding. My latest endeavour was the Troy-Bilt construction grade hose that Canadian Tire is selling. Well, the arthritic connection at both ends of the hose shrink in the cold weather thus causing leaks and spraying water which leads to wet hands. Also, if you turn off the water, the hose will actually disconnection from it's own coupling. I do not recommend this hose for -5'C or below.

I'm thinking about spending the $100 on this 'lifetime' hose from Lee Valley. If you've have had any success with this one or anything other type of hose, please post here. I would greatly appreciate it.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians)

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 am

Not much of a canuck (though I do have lots of silent consonants in my last name), I just picked up my second Goodyear all rubber hose, giving me 2 50' lines that I connect together. It's the only hose I've ever owned that doesn't harden in the cold. I think 50' was $29US, but I didn't really shop around for it.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Ryan
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 am

Hey Kevmac, I too am a "Canuck" This was my first build and I picked up that same Troy Built Hose at Crappy tire, Spent about $60 for a 100'( thought that was a good pick up) Havent had a problem with leaks or anything however the coupling that you spoke of that connects hoses isn't good as it does blow apart sometimes with pressure. Yardworks makes a rubber hose however they were sold out when I went to get one so I bought the Troy Built hose, also the Yard Works was around mid 40's price range for 50' of hose where the Troy One was 60 for 100' of hose. So ive been using that connected to a smaller garden hose and its been working for me. Anyways check out the yardworks unless youve used it already lol, Good Luck!

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Joe - unfortunately I don't think Goodyear hoses are available north of the border. I will have a look though.

Ryan - thanks but my current kinked version that I am using is the Yarkworks version. I've done Yardworks, Troy-Bilt and the Costco Heavy-Duty version... all kinked. The Troy-Bilt will be delivered to the Kanata CTC on Monday via garbage for full refund. Grumble grumble.

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 am

Even if it's not goodyear, I'd look around for something that's all rubber. Those seem to stay malleable in the cold. I was looking at another kind at Lowes, and it said on the label that it was "perfect for a wide range of temps", then in smaller print, said "40 degrees F to 120 degrees F". Yeah, that's not going to work.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 am

40'F to 120'F is still a wide range! :-)

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am

Apparently the hose at Lee Valley is made by Gilmour out of Peoria, Illinois. Any Americans have any experience with their hoses? I believe that it is this one:

Thanks
Kevin

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 am

Absolutely! Especially when I look at the current temperature in Ottawa => -17'C or 1'F. Not that I would be flooding in this weather although I have built up ice thickness in these temperatures (I am quite thankful for my tarp as I don't need to do that anymore).

Kevin

(This post made me an All-Star. I feel like Dany Heatley - time to ask for a trade!)

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 pm

i think i might use the same kinda goodyear all rubber hose that joe runs. i've even left mine outside when it was single digits overnight and it was still pretty easy to handle the next day even though it was full of ice.

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”