[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians) - Page 2 -

Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians)

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Hose Question for the Hosers (Canadians)

Postby kevmac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

There is actually one place in Ottawa that supposedly carries Goodyear hoses. Might have to pay them a visit!

Any chance this is the hose that you are using?
Or maybe it is this one:
Thanks
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am

Doesn't look like either of those. This is the one:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/goodyear-e ... Ow80OTAdPM

Any home depots near you? Or will they ship to .ca?
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

Unfortunately, the place in Ottawa doesn't carry those particular hoses. Sales guy wanted to sell me 3/4"x100' soft PVC air hose for $170 - I'll pass.

We do have Home Depots but they don't carry the Goodyear hose products north of the border. I think I'll buy one next time we take a trip south of the border. I'm sure the border guards will wonder why I am bring back 100' of hose but hey, what can ya do?!

Kevin

PCMM
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PCMM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 am

I take the opposite approach. I accept the fact that the hose will eventually split and buy the least expensive I can find!

the trick is to:
1 blow it out before you coil
2 coil from a higher level so that any water left in will want to drain out as you coil.
3 Storing inside in the warmth helps too.

Having said that I maintain a skating surface on my local pond so I dont have the luxury of warm water to work with (it's always just above freezing) and I use that super cheap sump pump hose. so far in 2 years I have only split 1 25' length (1 use 4 lengths)and that was because I didnt follow my own rules storing it! (a frozen block cause too much pressure and it broke at a joint.)

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:53 am

The problem isn't splitting, it's the damn kinking of the cheap hoses. My hose is always stored in the basement so it never has a chance to freeze.

I think the only time one of my hoses came close to splitting was in July when I left the water on but the hose sitting outside in the direct sun - that sucker looked like an snake that just ate a small animal.

FYI: I gave up on buying a new hose this winter and will suffer through with my kinking P.O.S. hose from Costco. I'll research some more for our annual trip to the states for some outlet shopping.

Cheers
Kevin

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm

I was just going to say, if you're headed south this year, I can grab whatever my local HD has for you. Just let me know.

Border Patrol: "Do you have anything to claim?"

Kev: "Yeah, a ton of hose"

Border Patrol: "Please step out of the car, sir"
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

PCMM
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PCMM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm wondering if you're running your water too warm. My experience with cheap hose is it tends to kink more when it heats up. Maybe try running the water with less heat in it so the hose wants to stay more rigid.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Can't make the water out of my well any colder than it already is... :-)

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”