[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Initial flooding issue -

Initial flooding issue

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
krusher
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20 x 30
Materials: 2x8 spruce for frame. On bricks as needed to level.
6 mil taped vapor-barrier for liner.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Initial flooding issue

Postby krusher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

I started flooding last night. I am trying to overcome an 8" drop over a 30' run so I filled about 6" worth of water in the deepest end.

We got -12 temps overnight.

This morning, I have about 1/2" of ice and then a lot of water underneath. In a few areas along the sides, I also have an air gap between the ice and water.

Should I crack the ice to get back to water? I am still well below the fill line so I'm not worries about irregularities.

I guess my main question is: Will the surface layer prevent the water below from freezing?

Note: I also lost some water to a leak (I presume) somewhere.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Initial flooding issue

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks for signing up - easier to communicate here rather than the blog comments.

While I think some air bubbles are normal, it can also be the result of a leak. Since you got -12 temps overnight, I'm assuming you're in a very cold area, and that is a very good thing. Two years ago I had many holes on fill day, but luckily it got cold and stayed cold and my slab froze solid.

Also, I'd hurry up and finish filling ASAP. I am not a fan of filling at different times, as it can cause big problems (the new water bores a hole and gets under the original layer, pushing it up, and the edges can damage your liner).
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 pm

You can verify whether or not you have a leak by looking for wet ground. :-) Unfortunately, if you have air between your surface ice and water level below, there is a good chance that you have a leak. Try your best to locate the hole, no matter how small and patch it right away. Use TuckTape as a cheap option, it sticks to everything, even liners under water (it sticks extremely well to itself). Or you could use a pool liner patch kit, this seals underwater as well.

The surface layer of ice will not prevent the water below from freezing. Don't worry about cracking the ice, water will find the path of least resistance to the area below and if you leave your hose running, the warmer water from the hose will form the required path.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

krusher
Rink Rookie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby krusher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I still have a leak. A lot of wet ground under the liner (darker). I taped one up and now there's no water pooling nearby. Temps are -10c so I have my fingers crossed. About 5" to go to get a 4" base at the shallow end.

krusher
Rink Rookie

Postby krusher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 am

So I managed to patch one leak earlier and then I patched four other small ones that I spotted later on. That tuck tape works miracles!

One lesson learned is that I should've stapled the sheet ABOVE my intended water level. I have a number of below-ice drip sounds that I can hear coming around some of my staple spots but I hope that the -12c weather helps freeze those slow leaks in a hurry. Lesson learned for next year (also will tape my tarp in a gym instead of my concrete garage).

I had shoved snow all around the outside of my frame so that has frozen solid and while some water has leaked through (helping me find where the leaks are), it's also slowing down the water and damming/freezing up.

It's going to peak over 0c for a few hours tomorrow before crashing back to -9c. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help!!

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am

Each year is a learning process for sure, even for us old(er) farts. Two tips, if I may:

-Don't staple at all, at least not until your slab is frozen. Use a temporary method to secure your liner...spring clamps, binder clips, or Nicerink bumper caps work great and allow the liner to be adjusted.

-Try to find a liner that doesn't need to be sealed. If you ask early enough in the season, I could help you locate one. Where are you located?

krusher
Rink Rookie

Postby krusher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Joe, I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. My rink is 20' x 30' so I made the liner out of 6-mil Polytarp Vapour Barrier. I ran four 8' segments in parallel with a bit of overlap (Tuck Tape both sides of the overlapping seams).

The one advantage to my method is that with the 3 red seams, I unintentionally created nice rink lines at centre and for the zones :)

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am

Whereabouts in Ottawa? I'm just south of the city in Metcalfe.

I have some leftover tarp from my 6ml 50'x100' tarp that I would be willing to part with - like any good Canadian I can be paid in cash or beer. I believe it measures 24'x50' which might be perfect for your rink next year.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks Krusher. I'd definitely take Kevin up on his offer, or we can help you find a full sheet next year. You'll definitely have fewer problems. I know costco.ca sells Nicerink liners, though in limited sizes, and not sure if there's one near you.

krusher
Rink Rookie

Postby krusher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Kevmac, I'm just over in Greely so not far from you at all. That does sound good! What do you drink?

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”