[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Resurfacing - Water temps -

Resurfacing - Water temps

When to resurface? How to flood? What to do when...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rinkratjoey
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 40wx80l
Materials: Retention pond. Snow for "boards" and pond hockey goals. Very old school! :)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Resurfacing - Water temps

Postby rinkratjoey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Okay, this year I will be dragging the hose down to the pond and just using our regular outdoor spigot to resurface. This is a cold water spigot but I have heard that warm water is better to use.

Does warm water really make the big a difference in the quality of ice? The cold water will have to do for this winter but toying with the idea of adding a warm water spigot next summer if I can justify it.
"I was never unhappy at the hockey rink"
-- Jack Falla

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Resurfacing - Water temps

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey Joey - welcome to the forums!

This is a very timely post as I just had our hot/cold spigot installed this past Monday. Obviously I haven't tried it yet. I've used nothing but cold water the last several years and I've had some stellar ice. That said, my reasoning for putting in the hot/cold spigot is that there MUST be a reason why zambonis use exclusively hot, right? So once we have ice, in the next few weeks, I'm going to do an experiment. I'll homeboni half the rink using hot water and half the rink using cold, then compare. Look for it in a blog post sometime this winter!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

rinkratjoey
Seasoned Veteran
Materials: Retention pond. Snow for "boards" and pond hockey goals. Very old school! :)

Postby rinkratjoey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 am

Yeah, I am curious to see how that turns out.

Also interested if you have any issues with the hose freezing up faster with the warm water as opposed to the cold, as I heard that is the case.

Good luck!
-- Jack Falla

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.

Postby Matt » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:37 am

if our ice surface is a lil snowy or skate marked up pretty good we'll try and use some hot or at least warm water to resurface. we think it helps to melt in a lil bit and bond to the existing ice. it tends to freeze a lil faster too. but cold water works pretty good if we're cleaning it up for the night and wont be on it till the next day. if joe doesn't care i'll shamelessly plug my youtube acct sometime and show our zamboni in action. works pretty good.

Dwieg
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Dwieg » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:21 pm

If you are able to, resurface and spray with hot water. As strange as it sounds hot water freezes faster than cold water due to whats called Mpemba effect. The chemistry behind it is somewhat complicated but it does work.

Hot water not only freezes faster but it will help smooth out any uneven areas do to its melting capabilities as well as cleans the ice. As mentioned in another post it also works better if you have a layer of snow on the ice because it will melt the snow.

As far as flooding goes, i would also like to recommend flooding at night or when the wind is down, wind creates ripples in the ice (hot water helps get rid of them). Also do not "flood" the rink, simply put a light coat of water down several times a day and your ice will turn out better.

Good luck this season and happy pond hockey to all!

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

rinkratjoey
Seasoned Veteran

Postby rinkratjoey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 am

Hmmmmm.......starting to sound more and more like I have a outdoor hot water spigot in my future. :)
-- Jack Falla

ah1fgunner
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby ah1fgunner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am

The other good quality of Hot Vs. Cold resurface is that when you use cold water, occasionally the ice will peel away in layers. Using hot water prevents this from happening. However, if the climate in which you live has fairly warm temps by day this is usually not an issue. I have found that the "layering" becomes more present as temps stay colder - like down around zero for the entire day.

bphc
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bphc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:22 pm

We saw some had some questions regarding modifications
Especially regarding using rubber instead of a towel
Click link below where we have photos of our rink rake posted

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/profile.p ... =505257245

Return to “Maintenance/Problems”