[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Filling with snow in forecast? -

Filling with snow in forecast?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
five8five
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 46x23ft
Materials: 7/16" OSB 18" high, 2' wood stakes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Filling with snow in forecast?

Postby five8five » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Hey all, second year rink builder here. I just got my boards up yesterday and haven't put the liner in yet. There's no snow on the ground at the moment, and I was thinking of putting the liner in and and filling over the course of the next couple days, as the temperature is typically below freezing at night, and just above freezing during the days.

My rink size is about 46'x23', I'm using 18" high OSB with wood stakes every 2 to 4 feet (closer together on the deep side), and I expect about 15" of water at the deepest end and 4" at the shallowest. This is based on last year's experience, which was successful...though this year I'm doing a little smaller build because I don't want the water in the deep end to be as close to the top of the boards :)

Anyway, there's 6-12" of snow expected in a couple days and I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

If I wait it out, I'll need to remove the snow and line + fill after the storm passes.

If I line and fill completely now, I'll have to wait a few days for the ice under the snow to freeze (enough to stand on) and then shovel the snow off the top and hope I don't run into too much slush.

Are there major alternatives to the above, or possible outcomes I haven't listed?
Attachments
fishiningboards.jpg
fishiningboards.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 17348 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Filling with snow in forecast?

Postby kevmac » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:56 pm

If you have the choice, I would wait until after the snowfall. If you fill now and you get a thin layer of ice, the weight of the snow upon this ice will push water out from below. This isn't a problem if the snow is thin and everything gets soaked since the slush will freeze somewhat evenly. The snow also acts as an insulator so it will take longer for the ice to become thick enough to stand on than if it was uncovered ice.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

five8five
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 46x23ft
Materials: 7/16" OSB 18" high, 2' wood stakes

Postby five8five » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks kevmac. I'm not in a huge hurry, and I keep thinking about the possible mess I'm contending with if I try to fill before the snowstorm. I think I'll wait it out as suggested. I admit that part of me was hoping that with a partial fill just before the storm starts, the snow might just all melt as it hits the surface. But with 6-12" and freezing temps overnight, I think that's probably just a recipe for slush.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:57 am

I was going to suggest filling it just before the snow fell so that it would melt on impact with the water but if you have any ice it leads to a potential mess. Better to just wait and shovel it out. Pain in the butt but hopefully you have kids who might help; I just have kids. :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:30 am

My first year I filled in advance of what was to be a 2-3" snowfall. The first few hours it melted into my water and looked great. Then over the course of the next week, we got about 18" of snow and I had a hell of a time getting my rink skateable. At some point the water turns to slush, and then the remaining snow sits on top of it. Only you can't get on the ice to remove it. I'd definitely suggest waiting.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Rink Construction”