[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Overlapping liner -

Overlapping liner

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
csauveur
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 72 x 24
Materials: 2x10's and plywood for boards, 2x4 and stakes for bracing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Overlapping liner

Postby csauveur » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Sophomore rinkmaster, and first time poster... I'm looking to double the ice surface this year from year 1. I kept last year's liner and to manage the budget I'm thinking of purchasing another same sized liner and overlapping in the middle.

Anyone have any experience with this and offer recommendations on do's or do not's? I'm planning on using white waterproof tape on the overlap to seal the two liners. Any known concerns with that?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Overlapping liner

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:50 pm

I believe the general consensus would be don't. You are always best sticking with a single piece. However, monetary constraints lead people to do this from time to time. I've heard of people using acoustic sealant to join the tarps. I've always used Tuck Tape to mend any problems I have ever had with my tarps in the past.

I would do the mending inside where you can lay the tarp out flat. Any chance you could borrow a school gymnasium for an hour or two?
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

csauveur
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 72 x 24
Materials: 2x10's and plywood for boards, 2x4 and stakes for bracing

Re: Overlapping liner

Postby csauveur » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:35 pm

You've scared me straight - I'm going with a single new liner.

I feel pretty confident about the overlap - the acoustical sealant and waterproof tape would make a solid enough seal. However, saving a few $$$ won't be worth the heartache of chasing a pinch in last year's liner. I've stored it in a good place but haven't inspected it to be sure of it's condition, so single liner it is.

Cheers!

Return to “Rink Construction”