[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Board Suggestion -

Board Suggestion

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Board Suggestion

Postby bjlasota » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:15 am

Hey all, and welcome back for the 14-15 season!!! I'm looking for some board suggestions based on my budget. Last year I found some really cheap OSB that I couldn't pass up for my 1st year rink. The rink turned out to be a success but the boards were trash after the year, as I had expected. My goals for this year were going to be big, however, our dog got attacked and in order to save his life, my rink fund was depleted. I've caught up with bills and I'm putting together plans for this years rink but it won't be what I wanted(double layer treated plywood). So after comparing costs of lumber, below are my options. I'm strictly looking for suggestions based on just the board aspect of my options below. I'm already aware of how much support I need, etc. Please let me know if you've had good, bad, neutral experiences with options below.

My slope on my yard is about 8" to my lowest corner and I'd like a little board in areas, so here we go.

Option 1: 2x12's all the way around. Treated or Untreated?

Option 2: Treated 2x4's as a base, with untreated 2x12's on top connected by 2x4's

I guess to look at it simpler, is I'm trying to figure out if I need treated or not. If I need treated, is it wise to use a shorter treated board as a base and stack a wider board on top to get the height I need while obviously attaching the 2 with 2x4? Thoughts?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Board Suggestion

Postby kevmac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your pooch, hope he's doing ok. :-(

I build my boards out 1/2" plywood and untreated 2x4's. The wood typically lasts a couple of seasons. It's not really the winter that does them in but the dampness they get from my storage area, as well as the squirrels and chipmunks that think I put them there as their on personal condominiums.

I've never built a rink with the 2x12 or 2x4 as my boards either so I can't vouch for what would be better.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 am

Glad to hear the dog's doing better. No fun.

I build my rink with untreated 2x12's. People usually think that pressure-treating protects wood from rot caused by water, but it's more for protection from insects and fungal decay. When I was building plywood rinks, I never used PT plywood, as it's more costly and heavier and PT ply still warped after a couple seasons. FWIW, 2x12's don't really warp because they're so thick.

I've never stacked 2x lumber on top of itself, but I imagine it can work. And I think you'd have to. 2x12's are only actually 11" tall, and an 8" slope means you'll have 12" of water in your deep end. You're going to need some extra board height.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bjlasota » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks Joe. I actually found an amazing deal at Menards. PT 10' 2x12 for 5.86 each! Bought those up and I have a bunch of scrap 2x10 that i'll stack. Not sure why they were so cheap, but they're quality and will work for this year.

matlaab
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 50x24
Materials: 2x12s with rebar supports, joined using strong ties.

Postby matlaab » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 am

I've stacked 2x12 - it worked well. I have about a 8" slope. The maximum I've stacked is a 2x12, 2x6 and 2x4 all together.

I put the 2x12 on the bottom, and put either a 2x6 or 2x4 on top. I put a couple of plates like or ) or slightly thinker on the back (non water/liner side). That holds the boards together.

I use rebar as the supports, and pound that in so the rebar top is over the upper board. Then use to attach the rebar to the boards. When stacking a lot (only in one place in my yard), I've doubled up the rebar. The strong ties grip the rebar pretty well.

No problems with this approach so far.

Return to “Rink Construction”