[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Sturdy plywood for boards? -

Sturdy plywood for boards?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
UMD05
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 42x26
Materials: Mix of 3/4 BCX framed with 2x4s in 4' sections & 2'x8' 3/4 BCX. 2x4 angle braces.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sturdy plywood for boards?

Postby UMD05 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 am

Last year was my first year with a backyard rink. It went well for the most part, but the one issue I had was some bowing in the deep end. I used 1/2" OSB sheathing. It was pretty flimsy, especially combined with the 1x2x24" stakes I originally used.

What type of plywood is strong enough to help resist bowing? I also want to use a product durable enough to withstand pucks and bodies slamming into it. The deep end boards will be framed in 4x4' sections. I'll be reinforcing the deep end with angle braces every couple of feet.

UnionAMG
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 64 x 36
Materials:

Re: Sturdy plywood for boards?

Postby UnionAMG » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Can't speak from personal experience, because I'm building my first rink right now. I chose 1/2" plywood, but I'm also building frames of 2x4 to match the plywood outline/shape which will give it much more strength than if it was just braced from stakes in the ground.

But I have read from others on the site that OSB in particular is very flimsy stuff and will wear down much quicker than similar dimension plywood as it can't handle moisture as well. You might have better luck with just 1/2" plywood, but you'll pay for the difference.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:36 pm

3/4" plywood is thick but still usable, but my local hardware store stocks 23/32" plywood for about $10/sheet cheaper. If you have the time/resources/desire, I've seen folks frame out the back of their boards with inexpensive 2x3 lumber to make it really strong.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:47 pm

My endboards are 3/4" (prefer the thicker plywood for the pucks) and the side and corner boards are 1/2" plywood. Everything is framed in 2x4s. I brace every 8' with 2x4 stakes in the ground. I have never had a problem with the boards bowing.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Jimmy3Putt
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 35x52
Materials: 1/2" plywood framed w/2x3 studs.

Postby Jimmy3Putt » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:02 pm

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 pm

When installing my kick plates, I only screw at the top of the wood. I try to tuck the bottom part between the ice and the boards. If you can do this or keep the screws about the water line, you shouldn't have to worry about any leaks.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:45 am

And I always advise folks to wait until your rink is completely frozen before installing kickplates (which it sounds like you're going to do). I know some folks who try to do it right after filling, and that can be risky if you drop a screw or the kickplate itself.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

UMD05
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 42x26
Materials: Mix of 3/4 BCX framed with 2x4s in 4' sections & 2'x8' 3/4 BCX. 2x4 angle braces.

Postby UMD05 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Belated thanks for the responses. I wound up going with 3/4" boards. I think I'd stick to 1/2" if I could do it over again, just to make them a little lighter to move around. I got my first skate in tonight. 11/29 was the first skate last year.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 pm

The 3/4" plywood definitely makes for heavy boards, but I haven't put a puck through 3/4", I have put one through 1/2". Hence 1/2" goes on my side boards and the curved corners (hard to bend 3/4" plywood), 3/4" goes on the end boards.

Return to “Rink Construction”