[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
First timer - is this even possible? -

First timer - is this even possible?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jugghead23
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First timer - is this even possible?

Postby jugghead23 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:44 pm

New user, been lurking and reading the past couple of weeks because I thought I might try to put in a backyard rink this winter. My son is in his 2nd year of mites and loves to skate.

So following some of the instructions I found on this site, I staked out the flattest area my yard has to offer.
And by flat, I mean, not flat at all. Unfortunately, our whole neighborhood is graded towards the retention ponds and nobody has a flat yard. That and the fat that we are in the foothills of the Pocono mountains in Eastern PA...well you get the idea.

So I staked out a 30x20 area where our yard is the flattest (we actually have a really flat area at the bottom of the yard but wouldn't fit more than a 5x10 as we have a pie shaped lot)

Also, I have a slight "hump" in my yard just north of my high end...and what I wound up with is 5" depth at my high end and a 21" depth at my low end.

That's ridiculous, right? I mean, can that possibly work? I mean, I guess I could do a 30x15, but the 30x20 seems ideal for our yard size, the size of the skaters etc.

I've included some pictures..one of the stakes before I ran the string and took measurements and the 2nd a simple diagram of the measurements I came up with.

Thanks in advance for any advice the experts can provide :)
Attachments
Backyard picture.JPG
Picture of the backyard
Backyard picture.JPG (137.36 KiB) Viewed 15335 times
Backyard Rink depths.png
Depth measurements
Backyard Rink depths.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 15335 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: First timer - is this even possible?

Postby kevmac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:57 pm

It can work with that differential in depth but you are going to need way more water than you would with a smaller slope difference. You would also have to brace the deeper end much more than the shallower end.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

jugghead23
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby jugghead23 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I've been exchanging emails with the people at Iron Sleek who came up with a plan for me..unfortunately, the amount of hardware needed might make it cost prohibitive at this time.

We'll see.
If I do go forward, I'll post pics.

Thanks for the response.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:05 am

Is topsoil out of the question? If you added some topsoil to the lower section of the rink but maintained a slope to the retention ponds, you would be able to lower the differential between the top and bottom.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

UMD05
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 42x26
Materials: Mix of 3/4 BCX framed with 2x4s in 4' sections & 2'x8' 3/4 BCX. 2x4 angle braces.

Postby UMD05 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:04 am

I have about a 14" slope over 24 feet in my yard & made it work last year with 1/2" 2'x8' OSB. You can do it without too much concern if you brace the hell out of it - probably angle braces every 1-2 feet.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 pm

The past two seasons I put a rink in my front yard (24x36) which had a huge slope. First year I had about 30 inches of ice on the deep end, and last season I put pallets down there with some old carpet over them under the liner and ended up with probably 22 inches of ice. I never did get the whole rink useable (the shallow end never did get enough to skate on) but I probably ended up with a 24 by 24 foot rink that the kids (and me) had a blast on. This season I've got a few loads of fill into the back yard to create a nice level space to build. That said, even extreme slopes are useable. It might be frustrating by times, but it can work if you are willing to work with what you have. Jeff

Return to “Rink Construction”