[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
New construction -

New construction

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
jfgreco
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30x60
Materials: Iron Sleek Rink System with 22/32" plywood ripped to 16" in height.

New construction

Postby jfgreco » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Looking to get a rink going. Is it to late to get the Nice Rink brackets in the ground?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: New construction

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Not sure about NJ...but definitely here in NH. Unless you want to shave the spikes and use rebar. I'd give it a shot and see, though. All it would take is one warm/rainy day. We put one in last Monday...a 40-degree day after 2-3 weeks of freezing temps.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

jfgreco
Rink Rookie

Postby jfgreco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

Yeah we are thawing out the next week or so. That was my hopes to slap it together.

I was thinking about using the brackets with wood boards to keep cost down. What do you use 2x10 minimum?

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 am

Nicerink brackets? Those only work with plywood (either 3/4" or 23/32") or Nicerink boards.

Do you know your slope? That's the most important step. If you're starting from scratch and just want to use stuff from your local hardware store, this time of year you'd be good to use 2x12s and rebar. But all depends on the slope numbers.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jeff22 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:19 am

I'm not sure what the nicerink brackets look like, but I drove some wooden stakes down into some very frozen ground a few weeks ago. Just get a piece of rebar and drive a pilot hole for each one.

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 am

NR brackets will not go into frozen ground. I tried (several times) this year when it got cold in November. Threw our install schedule back a day or two.

But good call on the pilot holes.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jeff22 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

It worked well with the stakes... I bout gave up, but a buddy of mine who works construction gave me the pilot hole tip.

jfgreco
Rink Rookie

Postby jfgreco » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 am

I am going to be doing slope measurements in the next couple days. I just got the supplies needed to do so. I believe we will be having a little warm up so I am hoping to get this going.

jfgreco
Rink Rookie

Postby jfgreco » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am

Ok slopes are down. Deepest corner appears to be 9.5". I am a little torn do for board sizes (12, 14, 16, 18). I am going plywood.

Other thing I am trying to work out is bracing. Do I go Nice RInk, Iron Sleek, something else? I like Iron Sleek for the price point. Any other ideas?

I am going to be shooting for a 30x60 this year.

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am

Iron Sleek is good stuff and will work better in hard ground now that it's January. I like them as a company too, they're good people.

I'd probably go 16" ply, as you can rip three boards out of a piece of plywood but still get enough height for your water and puck retention. 12" might not be tall enough and doesn't give you much wiggle room.

Return to “Rink Construction”