[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
First Rink Build - Tennis Court Install -

First Rink Build - Tennis Court Install

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
UnionAMG
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 64 x 36
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First Rink Build - Tennis Court Install

Postby UnionAMG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi all,

Newby here (Buffalo, NY), moving into a new house in two weeks that has a tennis court. Despite missing out on a bunch of the season, I've somehow managed to convince myself (and my wife!) that putting up a rink is the first thing that should be done. I've found a lot of information on Joe's tennis court rink very helpful. I've researched this a ton and since I can't start construction yet, I've drawn up some plans of what I'm thinking (attached).

I'm looking for some input on the potential bowing of the walls outward along the long walls. Since I can't stake the walls in, I'm using the wooden bracket design featured on this site header. I think this will be sufficient in preventing the walls from being knocked over (tipping over), but am still concerned the length of walls together will bend outward from the corners and turn my rink into more of an oval shape, and therefore lose the liner below water level.

On each of the longer sides, I'll have 11 brackets along 40' of 2" x 12" x 8' boards (one at each board joint, and one in the middle). If I put a 50lb sand bag on every other bracket at the board joints, do you think that would be enough to resist the outward force and prevent the bowing of the boards?

Any other critiques, or potential problems with my design that those with experience might see?
I'll be sure to confirm the level of the tennis court before install, and I plan to use two angle brackets at each of the (8) 45degree corners to prevent a blowout there.

Thanks for all of the knowledge and help. Looking forward to joining this obsession.
Attachments
Rink Plans.jpg
Rink Plans on Tennis Court
Rink Plans.jpg (116.67 KiB) Viewed 13745 times

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: First Rink Build - Tennis Court Install

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Love the notes and the priority of the project :)

What's missing from the site header picture are the huge chunks of cement I use to hold the boards in place. We had this old, awful cement walkway in our backyard that my dad and I destroyed with some hard work and a sledgehammer. We tossed the chunks in a riding mower trailer and lugged them out to a corner of my yard in the woods. When we built the rink, we decided to re-use, and now lug 6-7 of these huge, heavy (50lb+) chunks out to the rink. We put them right up against the boards and they don't move a bit because one of the best benefits of the court is that it's flat. I still have some slope in mine...my 40x56 install has about 4" in the shallow end (near mid-court) and 8" in my deep end (along one of the fences, beyond the baseline of the court if you will). With only 4-8" of water, there isn't a TON of water pressure so you won't need as much bracing. I think your sandbag idea is either great or overkill...neither of which will cause you problems :)

Note: if $ aligns, I am planning on moving to Nicerink boards/brackets this year some time, mainly because the storage of my 2x12's is a pain. The NR boards stack nicely and I have a ton of leftover brackets from my installs, but we'll see. I bought some large "real" rink board corners so I'm planning on totally redoing my rink, so we'll see where I land. I have been brainstorming with my dad extensively on this "next gen" build, and I'm hoping to either build, or have built, some sort of hard-surface-bracing mechanism. Basically some sort of sealed pipe that you'd cement into the ground, but that you could (a) drop a piece of rebar into in the winter and (b) cap in the summer for rollerblading. I'll keep you posted.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

dan_vining
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x24
Materials: OSB/plywood with 2x3/2x4 structure, on an asphalt court

Postby dan_vining » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:27 am

Bowing should be a definite concern. I built on a court last year and had significant bowing. The boards moved enough to tear my first liner (it was the thing holding the whole thing together).
I think those sand bags would be enough. I was out there one morning, trying to figure out what the heck was going wrong, and the boards would move outward with minimal jostling. A big rock (20-40 lbs) behind each portion of wall put a stop to that.

I had almost no bowing along my short walls, and several feet along my "deep" long wall.

dan_vining
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x24
Materials: OSB/plywood with 2x3/2x4 structure, on an asphalt court

Postby dan_vining » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:50 am

This year I'm adding some bracing.
2x3's joined end to end, across the width of the rink. They'll be in tension and hopefully work with the cinder blocks and bags of sand on the outside to prevent bowing.
The 2x3's will be under the liner; I will pad them with strips of last year's liner.

Return to “Rink Construction”