[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Dark green liner, have I screwed it up? -

Dark green liner, have I screwed it up?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dark green liner, have I screwed it up?

Postby david » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am

This is my very first backyard rink attempt, and I build it before I found this wonderful forum. Therefore I didn't put much thought in what color the liner should have, so I took the only one which was large enough at my local hardware store, which was green..

So.. should I flood the rink and get a new white liner before the water freezes (it's about 6C here in Oslo), or will the green liner suffice for this season?

RinkRatRyan
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x80
Materials: 2x6 frame, 24" OSB side walls, rounded corners, Homeboni on lawntractor

Re: Dark green liner, have I screwed it up?

Postby RinkRatRyan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

If your rink is in the shade you're probably OK with a green liner. However if it is mainly in the sun then I would reccomend changing to a white liner if you still have that option. The darker color underneath will attract heat from the sun's rays and shorten the length of your rink in the spring. We have had this issue with dark colored leaves that blew in which I did not remove at the time.

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner

Postby david » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am

Ok, thanks! I'll see if I get hold of a large white liner at reasonable price. If I don't, I'll just live with the fact that my skate season will be shortened. Fortunately (depending on how you look at it), we don't see so much of the sun during the winter time up here north. :)

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Ryan is right, it's not ideal. The good news is that once you have ice, and you skate on it frequently, it will mar up your surface so that it appears white from above. The edges will still reflect the sun because of the liner draped over the boards, and you won't have quite as long a season, but it's not like it won't ever freeze. Think about the colors of lakes and ponds...they're dark brown and dark green, and they still freeze.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Rink Construction”