[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Attaching Liner to Boards -

Attaching Liner to Boards

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Will
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x48
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Attaching Liner to Boards

Postby Will » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Hey, all. My boards have been up, but I'm not able to lay down the liner and fill until after New Year's due to a vacation. I am wondering, however, what different strategies are available for connecting the liner to the boards. I don't have access to a staple gun, so I can't go that route. I have seen a product made specifically for this somewhere, and I have also heard of people using tablecloth clips. To give you an idea of what I was thinking, I found these that I was thinking might work: http://backyardrink.com/shop/outdoor-ic ... ner-clips/.

Anyone have any experience with using something like this or have any other ideas that might work as alternatives to a staple gun?

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Re: Attaching Liner to Boards

Postby wilsondmw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

I have used these and they have held up well...at least for the initial filling. Once the water is in, I have folded the liner over the boards and user a spare board to hold the liner in place...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-in-Spr ... 46?N=c266#

----
Also, some completely unsolicited advice....

If you can, fill now. Its super cold right now in the midwest, and going to be for awhile...so if you fill now, you might come back after New Years and be able to skate. That is what happened to us after New Years last year....we cam back after vacation and had ice to skate on....

Only issue might be if it snows....but it is a risk I would take (plus if Ice is thick enough you could pay neighbor kid to shovel).

Best of luck,
Mike

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Yup, both of those would seem to work. I hadn't seen that first item...kinda cool!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Will
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x48
Materials:

Postby Will » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:16 am

I would love to fill now and get at least one skate in, but I can't for a few reasons. I am a college student, so 1) I have finals this week and can't/shouldn't put in the time required to fill, and 2) our break is 3 weeks long, so I'll be gone for too long to make it worthwhile to fill now. Inevitably, the weather would wreck the ice while we were gone. I'm just hoping the cold weather stays until after New Years!

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Postby wilsondmw » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am

No worries, study hard! Feels like we are in for a good long cold winter! Fingers Crossed!

Snipuh21
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 16 x 32
Materials: 12" and 16" OSB, 2' x 2" x 24" posts, 24' x 40' liner from Blue Lake Plastices

Postby Snipuh21 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:17 am

Just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to stapling the liner to the side boards if you're not planning on reusing it? The liner I purchased is a bit bigger than I need so I thought I would staple it in place and then trim it to fit. Noobie, so please excuse and explain if this is a dumb question.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:10 am

I staple my liner to my boards but they are only temporary until my kickplates are installed. As Joe stated in another topic posting, "keep it there with spring clamps, pipe insulation, or rink-specific bumper caps".

The problem with staples is any pull on the liner will pop it right out from under the staples.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Rink Construction”