[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
netting support -

netting support

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

netting support

Postby soupy01833 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 pm

What does everyone use to support the netting? I have no trees so looking for some ideas.
Last edited by soupy01833 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: netting support

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am

I use 8' high steel pipes that are about 2" in diameter. I have one at each seam of my 8' boards and they are held in place with U-braces screwed into my boards. This is easy with 4' high boards so I don't know how you would support them if your boards are lower. The netting (which is fishing net) is strung on a line and attached to the poles with zip-ties.

In years past, I used the orange snow fence and this was also attached to the poles with zip ties. I've also used 2"x2"s with chicken wire attached with staples or poultry nails.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 am

I was thinking of 2 x4's screwed into my 18" boards. The only thing I am afraid of is the stress they will place on the boards especially if it is windy.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am

Would entirely depend on the length of the 2x4s? You could always secure it on the back end with another 2x4 in an angle brace scenario.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

seantor
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 by 80
Materials: Nice Rink Brackets, 2' x 8' x 3/4" plywood sections. New liner every year.

Postby seantor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:35 am

Do any of you worry about attaching a rigid post directly alongside the rink? I'm worried about a kid crashing into them and hurting themselves -- similar to why you don't leave rink doors open during games or practices.

I'm going to do netting for the first time this year -- my oldest, an 8 year-old Mite -- is finally developing a shot, unlike his father. However, I was going to do it about six feet behind the goal.

Also, have you had any problems with snow from a snowblower hitting the netting?

Thanks!

Sean

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm

I already have the netting and some extra 10 foot 2x4's thinking of screwing them into the boards and then stapling to the 2x4's. I will use a string on the top for tension.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:22 pm

I would definitely be worried if I didn't have high boards and small kids. You could always rig about a netting support a couple of feet back but then you are traipsing through snow digging for pucks, which defeats my purpose of having the netting.

On the bright side, kids are pretty smart so once they hit one of the poles they tend to stay away from the next one.

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran

Postby soupy01833 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 am

ok. I did the 2x4's and angle brace. Came out pretty good for a 1st time try. Yes I am worried about the poles but I think with short boards the poles are not the only place one get injured. I really want to buy bumper caps but they are so damn expensive.

Return to “Rink Construction”