[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Do I need a bigger liner? -

Do I need a bigger liner?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Matt in CT
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x40
Materials: Followed the template on this site
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Do I need a bigger liner?

Postby Matt in CT » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey everybody,

I am following the template listed elsewhere on Backyard-hockey.com for a 24 x 40 rink. I'm a first-timer, and having a backyard rink has been a dream of mine ever since I was a kid in Western Mass. on the pond behind our house.

After measuring my yard's slope, I think I am going to go with 2-foot high boards because I have a 12-inch slope to deal with.

Since my boards will be higher, should I get a bigger liner? Or maybe go 18 inches on the boards and keep the liner size listed in the template?

Also, what are your opinions on rebar vs. wooden stakes for board support?

Love the site and have been reading the crap out of everything here, all very well-written. Thanks!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Do I need a bigger liner?

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the site. I don't know the details of the template but I'm going to assume that Joe put that together based on a close-to-level yard. I guess it comes down to what you want to do with your rink

A) Do you want the liner to go entirely over the boards and secure it that way? If so, you are more than likely going to need a wider tarp, so instead of say, a 28' wide tarp, you may want a 30' wide tarp to account for the extra foot.

B) If you already have your tarp bought and don't mind securing the tarp to the front of the boards via staples, you should be good with a 28' wide tarp as long as you have room above your highest water level.

As for rebar vs wooden stakes, I think this is a preference thing. I don't use rebar but others swear by it. As long as your supports are strong enough to handle the pressure from the water, you should be good to go.

I guess now I'm going to have to go read that template for 24x40 rink.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I went and read the "How To" on Backyard-hockey.com and Joe suggests a 32′x45′ tarp so I think this will still be plenty wide enough for a 24'x40' rink with 2' boards on the one end.

Good luck.
Kevin

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Matt in CT
Rink Rookie

Postby Matt in CT » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Ah, you beat me to it. Was just posting a link. Thanks

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:03 pm

If you are unsure, you can always order a wider tarp and cut it. My rink is 32' wide with 3'/4' high boards and I get a 40' tarp then trim the excess above my puck boards.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, the 32' width should work (as your total boards + ground coverage will be 28'), but if you're going 2' all around, it's going to be really tough on the 45' length. I'd suggest a larger liner just because you'll never get it flush to the ground (there will be wrinkles). 32x50 or thereabouts will give you plenty.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Matt in CT
Rink Rookie

Postby Matt in CT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Joe,

Where can get a 32x50 liner? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Matt

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner

Postby deke302 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I am sure there are a number of great places but I was referred to bluelakeplastics.com and have been VERY happy with it. Enjoy!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 am

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Rink Construction”