[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
pool noodles for bumper caps? -

pool noodles for bumper caps?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drich1020
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30 X 30
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

pool noodles for bumper caps?

Postby drich1020 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:01 am

Anybody use those noodle things that you use in your swimming pools for bumper caps?
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: pool noodles for bumper caps?

Postby Joe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Never have, but two things I've heard others gripe about: they're not sturdy or weather-resistant enough to last more than one season, and you can't normally order them in a specific color. Most pool stores have them in boxes of assorted colors, and so you'd have to pick and choose. But I imagine they'd work.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

drich1020
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30 X 30
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.

Postby drich1020 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Good point about the assorted colors. That would not be good.

Are there any alternatives to the Nice Rink bumper caps?
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Iron Sleek offers blue bumper caps. Similar price, might be a bit cheaper. Haven't used them yet.

http://www.ironsleek.com/ice-rink-topper

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

seantor
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 by 80
Materials: Nice Rink Brackets, 2' x 8' x 3/4" plywood sections. New liner every year.

Postby seantor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 am

I had the same frustration with pool noodles last winter. I couldn't find them in wintertime and they do come in assorted colors. I made a note on my calendar for mid-july and hit the stores. I ended up getting mine a Fleet Farm (a regional store not unlike Canadian Tire), but they were also available at Wal-Mart and others.

I ended up going to three different store locations and getting people from the store to open up a few more mixed boxes of noodles that the had in the back for me before I could get the 54 blue noodles that I was looking for. Everyone was really nice about it once I told them what I wanted them for.

The good news is the pool noodles are working great. They are very easy to slit and stay on nicely. (I can post a picture if you like.) Just make sure you buy the hollow noodles instead of the solid ones. I ended up paying around $1.50 USD per noodle. I am going to store them in some large, barrel-size, plastic garbage bags over the summer.

The bad news is that this is a summer project -- at least where I live.

Good Luck!

Sean
Milwaukee, WI
40' x 80'

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 am

seantor
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 by 80
Materials: Nice Rink Brackets, 2' x 8' x 3/4" plywood sections. New liner every year.

Postby seantor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:07 am

Will do.

Return to “Rink Construction”