[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
It's getting cold here in NE. Rink season is coming....... -

It's getting cold here in NE. Rink season is coming.......

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drich1020
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30 X 30
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

It's getting cold here in NE. Rink season is coming.......

Postby drich1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:47 am

...And I've saved up my questions to ask everyone here on the forum.

1. Is anyone else located in MA? I was planning on a Thanksgiving week frame build, but does it seem to be a bit colder than usual to anyone else right now? I'm wondering if the ground will be too hard by Thanksgiving. Anyone moving their build date up?

2. I need to buy a liner. What are some places I can shop around for a liner?

3. I have Nice Rink brackets that I bought on Craig's List. My land is pretty rocky under the surface (when the dog digs holes there are always tons of fist sized rocks). I tried out a couple of the brackets to see how they went into the ground and I hit a rocky patch. What do you do when you are putting in brackets and it gets a little rocky in spots? I'm especially concerned about the bracket that has to be placed on the seam between any two sheets of ply.

4. Hoses and spigots. I've read that some guys hoses burst while flooding or resurfacing. What are some tips on proper hose usage and storage? Types of hoses? Typically in winter I shut off my water to the outside spigot, but obviously I'll need that for the rink this winter. Do I need to shut off the water to the spigot after each time I resurface the rink to prevent freezing?

5. When to do the initial flood? When you know its going to be cold cold for some days in a row? Or can it be filled up before that in anticipation for colder weather?

That's all for now. I hope that will get me started
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: It's getting cold here in NE. Rink season is coming....

Postby kevmac » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 am

Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Postby wilsondmw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am

My experience is very very similar....definitely keep hose in basement or somewhere warm....I just coil-up in a big plastic tub with handles...makes it easy to bring up and down the steps...only other thing to add is that I always grab a beer from the basement fridge, throw it in the tub with the hose...

Nothing better than a beer in one hand and hose in the other...peace and quiet....can't wait.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Beer is added between Steps 5 and 6 for me. More beer is added between and after resurfacing.

Just remember: those cold evenings outside when it's so peaceful and quiet, that's our time!
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Rink Construction”