[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
First Rink EVER!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 -

First Rink EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: First Rink EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Postby bjlasota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

Well, nevermind. Rebar sure looked cheaper, but I'd have to spend around 130$ on enough rebar to make 3' stakes where I can get enough wooden stakes for around $50. So I guess here's a different question.

My boards are going to be 2' high. I have 2 stake options. I can get 1.5"x1.5"x24" stakes and pound those down 12" every 2' around the perimeter. Option 2 is to get 1"x2"x36" and pound those down 12" every 2 feet. My only concern with option 2 is that the stakes are thin and I'd be afraid they couldn't hold up the board strength. So what's more important? Having the stakes flush to the top of the boards or having them 12" down from the top but being thicker? I suppose I could also pound the stakes in so that the 1" length is flush with the board, and the 2" comes out perpendicular for more support? Thoughts?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 pm

My initial question would be: why do you need to pound the stakes a foot into the ground? There is no way that any of my stakes that are holding 3' high and 4' high boards in place are any more than 4-6" into the ground. I doubt I could even GET close to a 1' into the ground because of unknown matter like rocks or clay under my topsoil. I think if you can get 6" into the ground, you should be good unless your ground is severely loose.

As for whether or not you stakes should be level with your boards or higher, from a pure safety perspective I would want any stakes level or below the height of my boards, especially if they are lower than 3'. If there is one thing you want to avoid with backyard rinks, it's injuries. You don't want someone falling over the board and landing squarely on that piece of stake that is sticking up.

My two cents,
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bjlasota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks Kevin, So I'd probably be ok with getting the 24" long stakes, pounding down about 6", and having 18" left up the board sides. Do you see any reason to screw the boards to the stakes? Or just pound the stakes in every 2' for board support?

bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bjlasota » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 am

When I'm talking about the orientation of the stakes, the picture below should illustrate what I'm getting at. the square stakes(1.5"x1.5"x36") are around 7$ every 6pack. So it'll get quite expensive. The other 2 stakes(1"x3"x24") are around $9 for a 25 pack. It all depends on the orientation of the stake against the boards as to how much support it'll give the boards. Any thoughts on this illustration and using the 1x2 or 1x3 stakes vs the 1.5x1.5?
Attachments
stake.JPG
stake.JPG (186.89 KiB) Viewed 10129 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 am

I've never gone with boards that height but I would think that you would want your boards attached to your support system. Again, just my two cents, maybe someone like Joe would have more information with the types of rinks that he has seen.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

bjlasota
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bjlasota » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 am

So yesterday at Lowes I picked up 5 bundles of 1"x2"x36" stakes. I'll be able to pound them down a foot and still have them flush with the tops of the boards. Any thoughts as to whether I should put the short end parallel or perpendicular to the boards? Should I put a screw or 2 in to hold the boards to the stakes?

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood

Postby HaleSkater » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Just a second year rink owner, but I had good luck running a screw or two into the stakes... This made the boards more stable and I'm doing the same thing this year.

Be sure to tape over the screw heads if they protrude into the rink at all, or countersink if you have the patience. If you have a good drill with plenty of juice you can usually drive them plenty far in to avoid this issue.

I've seen some discussion on stakes themselves... I've used the 1" square, 2 foot stakes from Home Depot. Drove most of them nearly a foot into the ground. I agree with others that they don't need to go that far down though.

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Postby wilsondmw » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

Just FYI, Those 1" stakes have a tendency to split (I know from last year) so you may way to drill a pilot hole first---i know that is a pain but just line them all up and it should go quick.

If you don't really care too much (I didn't cause I threw away the stakes at the end of the year) then it wont matter too much....

Return to “Rink Construction”