[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
rink dimensions and layout -

rink dimensions and layout

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drich1020
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30 X 30
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

rink dimensions and layout

Postby drich1020 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 am

Hi. So I took Joe's advice and laid out my rink and found my slope.

I found that the best use of my yard will provide a 30' X 30' square rink. I started the high corner at about 5" of water and my lowest corner will have about 11" of water. This may change because I may quite possibly try to level out the yard by grading some of the earth around.

I'm going to go with plywood boards and 2 X 4 wooden stakes. I'm thinking that will hold. I do have a question about level boards. I would like to have the tops of my boards all level. What is the easiest way to do this?

I was discussing flooding with a friend who attempted a rink last year. We both couldn't figure out the best way to do the initial flood. When and how is it recommended to do the initial flood?

Dan
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Re: rink dimensions and layout

Postby Reider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

Hey Dan,

I'm no expert and in fact in the same boat as you, I'm building my first rink this year.

What I'm reading is that you should flood a little at a time. Wait for the temp to be a steady -10 Celsius for several days in a row and that's the time to start.

Most of the tutorials I've read says to flood 1" inch, let it freeze and then do another inch, etc.

Hope this helps. And if anyone has any other suggestions please post. I'm looking for all the guidance I can get!

Reid

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

Actually, I completely disagree with the "fill a little at a time" method. It's completely your choice, but here's what can happen:

-You fill 3" and let it freeze.

-The next day, you drop the hose in and the warmer water immediately bores a hole in your 3" and starts to go beneath it.

-The water filling up beneath your 3" slab pushes that slab up, the same way pouring a drink in a glass pushes the ice cubes up.

-That 3" slab, as it's being pushed up, scrapes alongside your liner around the entire perimeter, pulling on it or potentially slicing a hole that you can't see.

In the last 5-6 years, I've filled north of 40 rinks, all of them using the "all at once" method. If you've timed it right (at least 3-5 days of sub-20-degrees at night and sub-32-degrees during the day), you'll have skateable ice in 4-5 days.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Reider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Wow, thanks Joe!

Like I said, I'm still learning so I'll take that advice and give it a shot when I do my first fill.

Return to “Rink Construction”