[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Snowfall Impact on Construction? -

Snowfall Impact on Construction?

Want to know what liner to use? Curious about how to brace your frame? Ask all your rink construction questions here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dale
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 30
Materials: 2x 10"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Snowfall Impact on Construction?

Postby Dale » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:45 am

Last year was a very mild winter. My tarp went down (30x40 rink) on grass since we has no snow. We got about 12 inches yesterday, and I still need to get the tarp down. I was thinking that I would go out and compact the snow best I could to avoid high spots. I am not sure if the weight of the water would flatten it naturally, or if I still could get some peaks and valleys if I don't flatten it.

Any input appreciated.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Snowfall Impact on Construction?

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am

Hi Dale - I just moved this topic out of the "introductions" forum so more would see it.

I'm actually in the same boat with a few of my customers who decided to wait to fill. I have one this afternoon, and we got 7 inches of snow yesterday. I thought about borrowing some snowshoes to flatten it down in lieu of shoveling a 28x60 rink, but I'm worried that I won't compact it enough and that the relatively warm water would melt the snow underneath, stretching the liner and possibly ripping it. So I think, unfortunately, I'm going to either shovel or snowblow it. Neither will be fun, since I need to be sure I don't destroy the lawn.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Will
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x48
Materials:

Postby Will » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm going to be filling in January, when I assume I'll have a decent amount of snow on the ground. Any update on how this went? Has anyone tried filling on top of packed snow? I'd rather not shovel my 24x48 if I don't have to, but if there's no other choice, I'll just put on my big boy pants and do it to it.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 pm

We actually ended up snowblowing. We were just careful to not dig up the lawn. You don't need to get rid of 100% of the snow, but since the water is warmer than the snow, it will melt as it fills, dragging the liner down as it does so. Just leave lots of slack in your liner as you fill.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Frozen
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Frozen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am

I have my liner down. I had some deep spots that are filled in and I can walk and even jump on now. It has snowed and know there is snow on the exposed parts of the liner. I don't want to shovel in fear of ripping the liner. What should I do?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Pack that snow by any means (snowshoes, plywood, lawnroller or just by walking on it) and then soak the snow until it is slush. Bring it level with you existing fill and let it freeze. Once frozen, resurface as one and pretty soon you'll be skating.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Frozen
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Frozen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks a lot Kev. I did it last night and of course the 5% chance of snow the weathermen called for turned into 5 in. So I just got done clearing the rink and now hopefully the cold air will do it's job.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am

No worries. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “Rink Construction”