[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Kevin in Ottawa, Ontario -

Kevin in Ottawa, Ontario

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Kevin in Ottawa, Ontario

Postby kevmac » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey folks,

Name is Kevin and I have been building a rink in my backyard since I've had this backyard (well almost). We bought the house back in 1999 and I started building a rink in the winter of 2000-2001 (I think... it's been so long and been through so much). Last year I started writing a blog called where you can read about my rink starting as a 20'x24' with just snow on ground, to using pallets as boards, then plywood and finally the 32'x75' with rounded boards beauty I have today.

I've been playing hockey since I was able to walk... if you do the math (but you don't have to), it has to be about 38 years on skates. I played competitive hockey up to age 16 and been playing men's hockey since university. I have also been referred to as a 'hockey whore' as I almost never turn down an opportunity to spare for a team given the chance. I have two beautiful daughters who were also skating the winter after they walked or shortly thereafter. They are 9 & 11, both skate effortlessly and like the wind, yet both of them refuse to partake in the one sport that is truly my passion... life is ironic. I also have a beautiful wife who only ever asks me, 'You want to do what in my backyard now?' about once or twice a year...

When people find out about my rink, they always tend to ask - 'How old are the kids?' I used to respond '9 & 11' now my token answer is 'Anywhere from 5 to 42, but it's the older ones that really use it the most.'

Take care & happy flooding,
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kevin in Ottawa, Ontario

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:29 am

Ottawa is a great city! My wife and I went there for our honeymoon in 09! (strange I know) and for my B-day (during our honeymoon) we went into Kanata to watch the sens beat up on Tampa (missed the B's coming in by about a week). I want to go back to Ottawa and skate on the canal! (have you ever? is it amazing?)
Enjoy the rink! I hope mine evolves as well as yours!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Kevin in Ottawa, Ontario

Postby kevmac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 am

Hey Chris,

Ottawa is a beautiful city for sure. I moved here in 92 from the east coast and now I can't see myself anywhere else. As for the canal, I have skated on it several times - including an end to end trek I did with a friend once (that was a long day!!). I haven't been on it in years and I keep telling my daughters that we are going; this year they replied, "Dad, you say that every year and we never go." I guess I have to take them this time. :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “Introductions”