[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hello from Omaha, Nebraska -

Hello from Omaha, Nebraska

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello from Omaha, Nebraska

Postby Roadrage » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I have two kids who learned to skate last winter, and my 5 year old started playing Hockey this season. Our closest rink is about 25 minutes away.. and free skate times are limited (and expensive - $30 for the family each time).

So, we decided that since we have 2.5 acres and it's relatively flat.. we'd try our first backyard rink. We did a lot of research online and decided to go with a 40x60 rink that would be a good size for hockey... and we built it out of 2x12's and Iron Sleek brackets.

Our first mistake was putting down the frame and realizing that "flat" and "level" are two totally different things to the tune of about 15 inches. So, we pulled the frame up and had the ground leveled.. then put it back down. The liner went in on Sunday, and it took us about 16 hours to fill up to 5 inches across the entire surface.

We're into freezing weather starting today through the next 10 days.. so hoping to get onto the Ice on Saturday afternoon if all goes well.

Looking forward to being able to get some questions answered here on the Forums.. Homeboni seems to be our next project to tackle!

Thanks
Erin

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Hello from Omaha, Nebraska

Postby kevmac » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Welcome Erin! What's going on in Omaha, Nebraska today? This is our second "Hello from Omaha, Nebraska" post today. That's a great size rink especially for your first attempt. As for the 'falt' vs 'level', you should have come here before you started planning and Joe would have pointed you in the right direction (he's pretty adamant about checking your level lines!) Glad to hear you got everything sorted out though and have it filled 5".

Nothing better than having free ice in your backyard!

Let us know what you need and we can do our best to help.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby deke302 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello Erin,

How great is it that 2 of us from Omaha are doing this. I have 3 boys playing hockey and agree the cost to get to the rink and skate is high. My summer project will have to be to do some leveling of the ground. I have unfortunately have mine full with about 18 inches on one side and 3 to 4 inches on the other. Mine could be a big hot mess! I sure hope not, if so I am going to have to come and check out your HUGE rink! It sounds great! Mine is 24" by 36". Where is your land? You may have to email me if you don't want to post all of this but my email is deke302@gmail.com.

What age are your kids? Are they playing hockey for OHC? I am really excited too for the COLD ARTIC air that is coming down to help us get it froze. We are hoping to get out on it this weekend or next week!

Derek "Deke"
Derek "Deke"

Roadrage
Rink Rookie

Postby Roadrage » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Deke!

I can't believe there are 2 of us from Omaha posting 10 minutes apart! We are in the Bennington area.. About 180th & Military, so even Moylan is a hike. Our son is doing the IP program with OHC - this is his first year an he loves it! Daughter is 8 and did learn to skate but isn't sure she wants to do Hockey. How old are your kids, and are they in OHC as well? What part of town are you in?

You are welcome to come check out the rink.. We hope to skate Saturday based on currnt temps!

Erin
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

deke302
Seasoned Veteran

Postby deke302 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 am

This is so funny but we live in Bennington too! We live at 156th and State St. So crazy we are about a mile apart! WOW, small world! Email me or respond to my email I think I sent you through this site. I have twin boys in IP (Red). I would LOVE to see your rink! This is so great!
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 am

Another Backyard Rink Connection!

When I first saw the two posts, my initial thought was that it was a husband and wife duo that joined moments apart until I read the introductions. Crazy small world that we live in.

Cheers
Kevin

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Roadrage
Rink Rookie

Postby Roadrage » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Kevin.. when I went to the "introductions" page - I saw two "Omaha, NE" posts and figured I somehow screwed up and posted twice.. i've been known to do that. ;)

Deke - I never got a PM from you.. but I just sent you one as well. Let me know if you didn't get it and i'll just post my email address here for you to find me.

Erin
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 pm

That was the other thought that went through my head - two "Omaha, NE" from two different users - someone made two accounts when the first one didn't show up right away.

Glad to have both of you here and hoping it's the start of a beautiful backyard friendship.

Nebraska Maverick
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24X40
Materials: 1ft tall 7/16" OSB boards. boards joined w/ metal brackets. supported by 2X2X24 wooden stakes.

Postby Nebraska Maverick » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey! Nebraska is well represented! I am down south of you guys about 40 minutes. The closest ice rink for me is 35 minutes to Ralston. I built a 24'X40' rink because it is costly and a long drive to participate in hockey. I was not sure if it would get cold enough here for it so I am hoping for a long bitter cold winter! My wife would disagree but we are ready for it. I am planning to sign my son up at the Omaha Hockey Club in January. Hope to see you around!

deke302
Seasoned Veteran

Postby deke302 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:52 am

Welcome Nebraska Maverick! Good luck with the rink!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

Return to “Introductions”