[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hello from first timer in Michigan -

Hello from first timer in Michigan

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JDW
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x46
Materials: 2x12 boards, homemade brackets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello from first timer in Michigan

Postby JDW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 am

Hey everyone. First time rink builer. Kids and I have been skating on our so called pond, but water level changes have made it hard to maintain so it's time to build in the yard. I just finished putting it up last weekend. 26x46 with 2x12's for the boards. I put it in level and then back filled my one low corner about 2", so I have a pretty level surface to start with. Just waiting for the cold weather now. I'm using a 30'x50' white rink tarp in hopes of getting a couple years out of it. I made some boards to cover/protect/hold the tarp in place once filled. They will set down over the boards on top of the liner to hold it in place plus protect the tarp from skates, pucks, etc. At least that's the plan now.

Thanks to all the previous posters as I have been reading through a lot of these posts for info.
Attachments
DSC00337.JPG
DSC00337.JPG (98.49 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
DSC00335.JPG
DSC00335.JPG (161.59 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
DSC00304.JPG
Cover Board
DSC00304.JPG (158.24 KiB) Viewed 9931 times

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Hello from first timer in Michigan

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome to the site. Rink looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing your custom made dasher boards in action. I'm REALLY curious about what those two plastic containers are for!

Cheers
Kevin

P.S. Nice workshop.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks, the two plastic tanks are old liquid shipping containers made of heavy plastic with a gate valve discharge on the bottom. They hold 300 gal each. I filled them with water from the pool when I put it away for winter. Hope to save a little on the well plus it will make a quicker fill. If it works and they don't freeze and break it's a big + for me. Then next year I can get my hands on a couple more. I still have a lot of water on top of the pool cover to pump into the rink when the times rite.

My shop is 32x52 with 2 vehicles, I'm more of a metal fabricator, but my dad's the wood guy.

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Nice on all accounts!

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Very nice! Love the kickplate idea...never seen one like that.

One quick question...is there a gap beneath your boards in the second picture? Or does it just look like it?
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it but then I thought I saw some topsoil spread around so I didn't question it.

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm

I had a gap in that corner, but back filled and packed it from the inside until dirt stopped pushing through. On the inside the dirt is 1" above the bottom of the board.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

*facebook like*
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Introductions”